Orlando (1 Viewer)

redraw

HSC
Hey guys, I really, really want to write about Orlando tomorrow for Pomo, but I'm struggling to understand it. Anyone got notes?

Ivorytw

Middle Management
HSC
N/A
There's heaps in the resource section.

redraw

HSC
But I don't get bits. For example, what's with the "poetry".

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
The poetry is a self-reflexive critique of the process of writing that is not always accessible for female artists (for eg Woolf herself).

That would be a Modernist concern though, would need to tweak the ideas around to fit it into Postmodernism. Possible mise en abyme?

redraw

HSC
Bobness said:
The poetry is a self-reflexive critique of the process of writing that is not always accessible for female artists (for eg Woolf herself).

That would be a Modernist concern though, would need to tweak the ideas around to fit it into Postmodernism. Possible mise en abyme?
Hm peut-être. However what stumps me is Orlando's fascination with it, especially as a man.

And then there's the recurring Old woman. perhaps it symbolises the intellectual exclusion of women; they are instead simply shunned to perform menial tasks?

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
redraw said:
Hm peut-être. However what stumps me is Orlando's fascination with it, especially as a man.

And then there's the recurring Old woman. perhaps it symbolises the intellectual exclusion of women; they are instead simply shunned to perform menial tasks?
Your second comment sounds about right.

Orlando's fascination with writing is quite fitting in terms of his/her discovery of a holistic identity: it is through the process of writing that we construct our self and subjectivity. You could even bring in Barthes' notion of the 'Death of the Author' and readerly or writerly texts from S/Z in.

Anyway hope you went alright in Mathematics Extension, and good luck for this tomorrow :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)