• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Overload? (1 Viewer)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I saw people on UNSW/USyd board talking about taking a higher subject load (i.e. extra subjects/credit points) to do more subjects or do their degree faster...

Can u do that at UTS? I was just curious....

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
i was talking to the uts law people, and i asked if it was possible to fit in some extra things like a language in there. i was told that uts wasn't very flexible in that sense- their course structure is rigid and planned specifically so that you come out of uni with the course that you studied. and he was asking me why i would apply for the uts course if i wanted to do humanities. and yeah, i just got the feeling like their courses are practical and equips you with all the skills you need, and none of the fancy other stuff.

it could be different for other faculties.
maybe you could email them and ask

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
you have to have special permission from the dean of your faculty, at uts

i think most uni's would have that policy, cos it's not a terribly good idea to overload yourself unless you know what you're doing

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
You can overload, as long as there are places available in the subjects you want to do. It depends on the faculty. The Faculty of IT won't let you do more than 4 subjects per semester unless its your final semester, because of limited places in their subjects (mostly electives). The Faculty of Business, however, may allow you to do so, because they have more places in their subjects.

They do warn you, however, that taking more than 24cp of subjects per semester (usually more than 4 subjects) means that you will not get any special consideration in exam situations and maybe even assignments. So if you get sick and miss an exam, or something like that, then they won't do anything about it as far as I know, because you are taking more than the recommended load of subjects.

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
i contacted UTS only a week ago asking this question, as im doing the combined law/communications thing andi wanted to take extra social inquiry subjects. she told me i wouldn't be able to do that whatsoever. :(

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Damn... it's just that 12 hours of face to face for communications seems like barely anything..... of course I would just do the normal credit load for first semester though because the workload may be decieving but I would have liked the opportunity to take some extra subjects etc.

^___^
HSC
oh :(

i thought they would allow us to do this little thing where we go for interest more

/me points to MinAi's history of football in UNSW

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Well you have electives that you can do! Especially in the non-combined degrees. The Engineering single degree programs have 4-5 electives which can be done from any faculty.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
You'll need to do good in your Engineering subjects to transfer.

Have fun in Mathematical and Physical Modelling :p.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
You usually can if the course allows mid-year transfer, but usually you have to wait until the end of the year, especially if your in your first year. You then apply for internal course transfer.

Na I don't have any tips ..., lol. I just heard they are kinda hard, but if you've done Physics and 3/4 unit maths then should be alright I guess :).

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
if i wish to do this (at newcastle) and i go and see the dean, what will he consider? will he make a judgement based on my uai or just tell me that i wont get special provisions or what?

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
depends where you want to transfer to. uni to diff uni = marks + uai. same uni to same uni = marks ( from what i am aware of).

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
Originally posted by jase-REX
Well you have electives that you can do! Especially in the non-combined degrees. The Engineering single degree programs have 4-5 electives which can be done from any faculty.
but thats not EXTRA... thats within the guidelines of the course itself

i'd like to be proved wrong.. i really wanted to take up extra units at uni :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)