Parents, emotional abuse, want to move out - need help! (1 Viewer)

mouz

HSC
Hello all,

I didn't know where to post this so I'm posting it in a couple of the sub-forums. I am in my 20s, have always had strict parents - for the past two years I have been having problems with my family. Emotinal abuse has become a frequent part of my life (no physical, have not been physicallly beaten since about 17). Increasingly, I find my life is being restricted, I am not allowed to work, stay out past a certain time. Over the past years, it has gotten really bad! I am pretty much not allowed to do much outside the house. I know it is partially my fault for letting this happen, but what I have noticed is that over time, things just get worse. My father becomes more emotionally abusive and intimidating. I want to move out and don't know how. Many may be surprised that I am so old and have not moved out already... no one in my family has moved out ever. We don't do that in our culture. Its hard, and its extremely intimidating thinking what I may have to face if I brought up that topic.

I would like to know, are there any organisations or anything that actually help you in this process, as I know I will not be able to do this on my own, I'd fear for my safety. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

HSC
1. You're over 18 - legal adult.
2. You live in Australia, you have rights which you are not receiving.

I'm guessing you're studying? You could consider seeing a counselor wherever you're studying.

Places like the Salvos can help. If your parents try anything that puts you in danger, contact the police when you can. DOCs? Kids helpline?

The police could hook up you with a social worker who will have heaps of helpful contacts?

What you're doing will have consequences, but it sounds like you're better off getting out now. You don't deserve to be living in fear.

Out of curiousity, what is your culture?

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
im gonna take a guess and say paki or indian culture.

our kinda parents tend to be like that, especially the old school families, and it seems your dad is old school.
thankfully my parents arent like this and give me some sort of freedom, even if it is sorta limited.

make sure ur dad understands that while you are grateful for him and mum for bringing you up, you feel that its time for you to live on your own, and make him aware that the emotional bullying is actually having an effect on you, he might not know this.

strict dads can be quite intimidating, but at heart they have good intentions (unless he's a total psycho, i wouldnt know). Make him aware of how he makes you feel, and tell your parents that u believe its time for you to move out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)