• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Parramatta - What are the odds? (3 Viewers)

dilroy

HSC
Hey all I was just wondering how competitive it is to actually get into a business course at UWS Parramatta, since it's obviously the most popular UWS campus I would suspect that getting below the cut-off marks would be kind of useless?

I got 68.40 for my UAI but my school is automatically applied for the EAS scheme because it's considered to be in a disadvantaged area, I am hoping to get into a course entry of 70 an the course does not have an indication of vacancies (V). Are my chances of getting in very slim?

dilroy

HSC
Either E-Business or Applied Finance, neither have Vacancies. I am hoping that the EAS scheme will give me bonus points to enter... if possible lol.

L

LaraB

dilroy said:
Either E-Business or Applied Finance, neither have Vacancies. I am hoping that the EAS scheme will give me bonus points to enter... if possible lol.
um... how can you know that they don't have vacancies? UAI's were only jsut released so people haven't accepted courses yet unless they got early offers so what do mean they don't have vacancies?

dilroy

HSC
Forgot my sources but the courses that have vacancies normally have the (V) icon next to their names. The Parramatta campus courses do not have them. I may be misguided though.

UWS also is the 4th highest uni for first preferences, I have a feeling this year will be extremely competitive =S

L

LaraB

dilroy said:
Forgot my sources but the courses that have vacancies normally have the (V) icon next to their names. The Parramatta campus courses do not have them. I may be misguided though.

UWS also is the 4th highest uni for first preferences, I have a feeling this year will be extremely competitive =S

i still don't get what you mean...

every course has vacancies atm lol.. because UAI's were only just released so no one has gotten into their courses yet...

The only list that has Vs taht you could have would be past year's late entry UAI cut off lists... and if that's what it is, which it must be, then that totally depends on demand an dthe initial UAI cutoff so you pretty much have to wait til main round offers are processed to be able to tell...

Also, as far as UWS being 4th highest for preferences - don't worry about that too much lol... UWS has a far wider student base in terms of numbers than a lot of unis, plus they've just added the new med school so that would be a fair chunk of those preferences... and there's also courses lke the forensic course that are really popular... PLus, a lot of people tend to put otehr unis first and have UWS or Mac or Charles Sturt etc as like "back ups" i guess so a lot of those preferences may not be "real" preferences per se

Last edited by a moderator:

klh

HSC
put other campuses as well, than you can transfer after a years' study through UAC. Internal transfers have restricted transfers to parramatta campus due to its high demand.

Yes, and V's or vacancies are for latter rounds after the main round, as LaraB put it, whic label which uni courses that still have vacancies available. As teh ajority of offers are offered in the main round, there are still alot of spots.

dilroy

HSC
Woops I forgot to include the link, silly me.

http://www.uac.edu.au/pdf/2006_uai_coffs_csp_main.pdf

Notice how the majority of UWS courses have the (V) sign next to it whilst the E-business course doesn't include it, probably meaning it is a very popular course am I correct?

I also put other campuses in my preferences as well, most of them are business courses in Blacktown.

klh

HSC
yes, thats for this years, yours is in 2007, the main round hasnt been offering palces yet, you will be considered inteh main round after jan 4 2007.
You see, those vacancies were shown in 2006 main round, for 2006 applicants. It doesnt apply for the coming rounds.

edit: again, last years demand is not the greatest indicator for this years demand. I mean my b Bus Managemetn course went from lo 80s to 70s to mid 60s back to mid 70s throughout my years at UWS, so its hard to say.

Last edited:

dilroy

HSC
I see, thanks for the clarification. Well I guess I just have to wait until January the 17th, more sleepless tortue nights! =)

I also heard that all courses must accept at least 5% of students with EAS applications, can anyone assure if this is true?

klh

HSC
sorry to put you down, in so many words, but yes its a hard time for many..we've all experienced it so i hope you get through it all on top.

im not so sure, buy ask in the general uni forums as hopefully more members can see and answer.

fai69

HSC
Sorry to say this but with a uai like that i think its kind of hard to get into parra campus.Im not sure what the uac guide released this year as cut offs usually a mid 70s uai would get you into a fair business course and low to mid 80s for the really popular ones.BUt then the cut offs can change if there is low demand for it.Ive seen courses drop a lot in cut off while others jus drop slightly.Its about supply and demand.But yea parra is like the best campus id say....well for me anyway because its just a 12min drive xD instead of taking a long train trip up to blacktown or down to campbelltown.BUt goodluck anyway on the offers,things just might go your way.If you cant get into your first preference then just go for 2nds and change course in the second year and use the subjects from your first year as electives.

dilroy

HSC
I currently have my first choice preference as according...

1. E-Business @ Parramatta (70.00, 2005)
2. Applied Finance @ Parramatta (NC)
3. Financial Advising @ Blacktown (65.00, 2005)

Should I be putting Financial Advising above my Applied Finance choice, if I may not make it to Parramatta? Or will it still be the same if I leave Financial Advising as my third choice?

klh

HSC
well, what do you want as you r primary? Preferences work like this: if you were not competitive enough for e-bus, than they try gain for app fin, if again you are not competitive, than they try fin advising and again until an offer has been made. So if you like parra, put app fin first, but if you dont make it, it doesnt matter as theyll try for 3rd.

also, id advised wit hputting more than 3 choices, just in case.

dilroy

HSC
Yeah I've already completed the full list, it's just that the first three choices of mine I would consider as courses I would want to do mostly.

I was just wondering since I had Financial Advising as my third choice that someone who has put it as their 1st or 2nd choice may have an advantage over me, and since I have a score of 68.40 (plus EAS for being in a disadvantaged area) I would think I have a higher chance of entering the course over Applied Finance.

I was worried that since the chances of entering Parramatta are slim it might have been a waste to place Applied Finance over my choice of Financial Advising since my UAI has a competitive advantage over this years current cut-off for Blacktown (I am aware that this years demand may differ from last years, but I am a paranoid being =P). Of course the only reason I put the Parramatta courses over the other courses is because of the area, I would pressume the majority would choose Parramatta for the same reason.

Last edited:

dilroy

HSC
Oh and I didn't want to place this thread in the general university section because I am aware of the arrogant people from the more prestigious universities lol

klh

HSC
As to that, im not sure if uni's prefer a person due to them preferncing the course first or so. I thinks it all about if oyu as a candidate is competitive enough to gain an offer. I mean i put i think ACU than UWS is my preferences, and i got in on my last preference at UWS [i later transferred to another UWS degree]. So, at least in my expereince, i dont think on e may have an advantage. But it can happen, uws last year said htose who wanted smartstart scholarships hadto put certain degree as thei first preference, and sometimes if you put a certain uni first, they may take that into account when offering a place [there is a thread in general about uni's offering places ot students with lower uai than the cutoff].

So dont worry too much, take it easy and go to the open days for advice; i sure benefited from it.

Gurlpower

HSC
can i just say 'nigga please'

dilroy you listen hard to me, because what im about to say will guarantee you parramatta entry and will save you a few grand in the process.

that is, do a diploma at tafe first in ar elated subject.

i did this. and got 120 credit points which equates to half my degree, once this is done you are assured entry, trust me.

if you REALLY want to manipulate the system, do a diploma at tafe, apply for uni, do a semester at uni with strategic choices, go back for that extra semester at tafe carrying academic credit from uni to tafe, fill the void left by the credit with more tafe subjects then carry the guaranteed tafe academic credit bak to uni and your looking at about 100 credit points during that year.

if that schemes beyond you, keep it simple and just go to tafe. you are guaranteed 40 credit points a semester just by doing tafe, easier and cheaper.

c u in 2008, good luck.

jubs_

HSC
main round offers are released on january 18. you have no way of knowing if there is any vacancies until then (in which uac will release a document showing the courses with vacancies).

my friend studies at parramatta campus. she transferred mid-year into a course that was advertised in the main round as having an entry score 7-8 units above her own uai. :D you can always apply mid-year (it's much easier) because lots of people drop out and result in vacancies which need to be filled.

dilroy

HSC
I've managed to get into the E-Business course @ Parramatta, although I'm happy with my choice I'm a little worried as it doesn't seem to emphasise much on Accounting and there are no majors available for either accounting or finance. There is only the "Accounting for Managers" unit and that is all.

I've heard that all business courses are the same for the first year and transferring to other business courses is available. I was wondering whether if I wanted to transfer to Applied Finance or Accounting whether I could stay in Parramatta or I would be forced to go to Blacktown or Campelltown?

But yeah I'm looking forward to uni and E-Business so far ;)

L

LaraB

dilroy said:
I've heard that all business courses are the same for the first year and transferring to other business courses is available.
sorry but you heard wrong - the guaranteed internal transfer scheme is gone/on it's way out? one of the 2 so you have no guarantee of transferring...

secondly - no they are not the same.. sorry :p

eg: Autumn session for some bus courses:

Accounting:
200032.1 Statistics for Business
200103.1 Accounting Reports and Decisions
200184.1 Introduction to Business Law
And choose one of the following options:
Option 1
200076.1 Introductory Economics
Option 2 (both units must be completed)
200046.1 Microeconomics
200049.1 Macroeconomics

Economics and finance
200046.1 Microeconomics
200047.1 Australia and the Global Economy
200048.1 Financial Institutions and Markets
200103.1 Accounting Reports and Decisions

HRM and IR
61441.1 Workplace Behaviour
200047.1 Australia and the Global Economy
200300.1 Managing People at Work
MG102A.1 Management Foundations

International business
61128.1 International Business and Asian Environment
200083.1 Marketing Principles
200076.1 Introductory Economics
200128.1 Introduction to Information Systems

property
VA101A.1 Introduction to Property (V2)
200046.1 Microeconomics
200184.1 Introduction to Business Law
BG101A.1 Building 1

As you can see - although some share a few units, they are far from identical - and that's just first semester, so the variance gets even more so after the 2nd semester...

You may perhaps use cores from one as electives in another, but apart from that they are not similar...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)