Part of Meiosis I don't understand... (1 Viewer)

HSC
So Meiosis forms haploid gamete cells - sperm or ova. And this happens in the testes and ovaries respectively. Sperm and Ova combine at Fertilization to produce a diploid fertilized egg which becomes a baby or whatever. What I don't get is if the Sperm and Ova haven't yet combined what do they mean what are they referring to when they talk about "maternal" and "paternal" chromosomes during meiosis?
Am I missing something? Is this like say your grandparent's genes or something?
If it's a stupid question I apologize but I honestly don't get that part and it's making it hard to understand the entire process.

jnney

lemon
HSC
oh well, as in, every individual will have chromosomes from their father and mother, just like you and me.

HSC
So if meiosis was occurring in me, 'crossing over' for example would produce re combinations of my mother and fathers genes? and the same thing would be happening in a guy with respect to his parents genes, and then when you hit it off (lol) the baby's genes is a combination of your parents and his parents when both haploid cells (sperm and ova) combine?
Someone please tell me this is right or I'm going to loose my mind.

jnney

lemon
HSC
Yep, crossing over of maternal and paternal genes creates what is known as 'genetic variation'.

Yes to the second question also. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)