Past Papers (1 Viewer)

Morgues

HSC exams prior to 2001 are they worth looking at for relevant questions or has the syllabus changed to much for them to be of any use

T

timbk2

questions on motors and generators and astrophysics are basically the same as the ones they did 10 years ago.
Old textbooks have heaps of really good practice questions.

A

average

the only thing of good use is trial papers from various schools for last year

Big Willy

Cabra Junkie RULES
HSC
I dont think it would hurt to do them, but they tend to be a waste of time. Its good to get you familiar with the mathematcial componet and stuff, which should help you understand the physics of things (eg if you do enough projectile motion questions, u'll acutally understand how projectiles work. Or if u do motors and stuff etc.)

Have u guys done fusion questions?? I think they are really hard, but dont worry, its not gonna be in HSC

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
but isnt fusion in the Quanta to Quarks topic?

Miss Niru

Please help

Can anyone help please? I'm doing the quanta to quarks option, and the three core topics as well, and my teacher is the sorta guy who says "Look at the textbook" when I come to ask him about problems - is anyone here really really super good at physics, and can help me with my hassles please? I'm set on a few things, but there are major major MAJOR gaps in knowledge with many other bits of this course, and I'm very slowly starting to die with all of this......

Can anyone help?:confused:

Miss Niru

Can you explain what the hell michelson and Morley actually did? I feel so incredibly stupid for not understanding it properly.....:( :(

Morgues

ok, someone can definetly explain it better then me

Without getting technical they just said if there is an ether (imaginary substance through which light supposedly travelled) than light travelling in the direction of the ether would be faster than light travelling the same distance perpendicular to the ether, putting it practically a boat travelling at the same speed over the same distance would take longer to travel that distance across a river current compared to flowing with it

So using double slit mirrors they sent a light ray into directions perpedndicular to each other and if there was an ether the 2 light ways would take a different time to travel the same distance due to an ether, the light however took the same time hence there is no ether

The result supported Einsteins special relativity theory as it showed light travels at speed C no matter from what frame of reference it is observed

ok i even confused myself so i probably wasnt much help however the Jacaranda text book explains it well as well as the Success One book
ok i even confused myself so i probably wasnt much help however the Jacaranda text book explains it well as well as the Success One book

Last edited:

Miss Niru

ooh -thank youuu!!!!

that helped alot!

so basically they tried to see if running the light "against the current" of the ether would slow it down? but it didn;t?

Morgues

Exactly, they thought ether is a 'wind' therefore if light ran in the same direction then its speed would increase and it would cover the distance faster but it didnt

Last edited:

Miss Niru

so einstein was the dude who said that light travelled all at the same speed and that's why they detected no ether?

are you by any chance online on any messaging system? (icq msn yahoo aim???)

souldancer

einstein didnt state that c is constant, rather he based his theories on the idea that c is a constant, which has since been conclusively proven.

note that for the michaelson-morely experiment, they were trying to prove that the aether existed, and that they rotated the apparatus through ninety degrees t determine if the orientation made any difference to the results.

my teacher used the analogy of swimmers in a river, one swimming 1 km up the river and back, the other swimming 1km across the river and back, who would be back first if they can both swim at 4m.s-1 and the river current is 2m.s-1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)