Penrith P's Test at High St Centre (1 Viewer)

iseenya92

HSC
Hi Guys.

I'm doing my P's test at Penrith this upcoming Monday at 7am. I am just wondering if anyone has recently done the test there lately and can comment on the route they had to go on and what they were expected to do?

Also where is the parking for the testing area on High St? If it's out the front, will the park be reverse parallel and will I still get 7 meters that I've heard other people have had allowed in their test. They won't make me park between two cars, but behind one car.

Is Penrith busy at 7am at all?

Any information regarding testing routes would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

astroman

HSC
I did the test there before, there are two routes, too confusing to explain. And at 7am there should be not many people. Here is some advice.

- relax, don't talk excessively and focus on the road.
- before you start the instructor will ask you to sit in the car and test your indicators, and brake lights. Ensure you put your seatbelt on and turn the key's ignition to the point where you can operate the indicators and brake.
- once all checks are done, instructor will sit and give an overview saying something along the lines of: 'i will be your instructor for the day, we will do this course and will be testing you on specific manoeuvres (usually kerb side stop, reverse parallel park). He/she will then ask for any questions, ask anything you want here.
- fiddle around with controls to show you know how to operate stuff. Ensure your position is upright and hold your steering wheel at 10 and 2 position. At no point should you ever drive with just one hand unless you are either shifting gears or doing a tight turn.
- Put your AC on to a suitable temperature and turn on your demystifier to the front and rear windows.
- Pull out into traffic slowly, and physically show you are viewing your blindspots, twist your head so they can see you are making an effort.
- always stay below the limit, you can't fail for going under the limit but if you go a kilometre over it's instant fail.
- always check your blind spot and shoulders whenever you move from a halt such as a stop sign or traffic lights, it is bullshit rule but you must since they think a cyclist or something could come.
- The instructor is looking at the cluster gauge constantly to check your speed, ensure you stay under since where they sit from it looks a bit higher.
- follow the route the instructor says clearly, they are basically talking like a complicated GPS, they will say stuff like, 'turn right on the second set of lights' or 'turn right on the roundabout', make sure you are alert, listen to them and focus on the road.
- Never go through a yellow light if you can stop prior without slamming the brakes, if the light goes yellow when you just enter the intersection it is fine then.
- Don't stand on pedestrian crossings or zebra crossings as you are obstructing people.
- Clipping the kerb of the round about is counted as an error so avoid it.
- when the road splits from one lane into two you must indicate.
- Go slowly over speed-bumps and check for pedestrian crossings.
- You must stand for at least 3 seconds at a stop sign, this is a rule and if you don't it is an error.
- ensure you check your review mirror a lot, make an effort to show you are looking.
- the instructor is writing things down, this stresses you out, don't worry too much and don't try to peak at what they are writing.
- listen to what the manoeuvre is that they tell you, know what a reverse parallel park is and a kerb side stop is. You must also put your car into either first gear if in manual or park in automatic and put handbrake and shut car off to satisfactorily pass the manoeuvre. This is just a safety thing.
- when returning to test facility, park where they say, this is also like another manoeuvre they test, if you hit the kerb they might fail you.
- be aware of school zones, these are a killer.
- essential tip of all: relax and stay calm, the test is unrealistic, no where in real driving situations do you have someone testing what you do. Just drive like a granny that is being super safe.

If you have any questions please ask, i did the test twice coz i failed due to stupid reasons so i know what is expected

iseenya92

HSC
always check your blind spot and shoulders whenever you move from a halt such as a stop sign or traffic lights
So if first one at a set of traffic lights, in addition to already having to look left and right before proceeding, do you have to check blindspots? Is this both left and right? I would have thought this would be a bit of lengthy process and can have marks deducted for taking too long to leave green light?

Also how much space do you get for parallel park? Where is the parking area at new Penrith testing centre?

astroman

HSC
So if first one at a set of traffic lights, in addition to already having to look left and right before proceeding, do you have to check blindspots? Is this both left and right? I would have thought this would be a bit of lengthy process and can have marks deducted for taking too long to leave green light?

Also how much space do you get for parallel park? Where is the parking area at new Penrith testing centre?
Yes you do, incase there is a bicycle, it's not a lengthy process, whole thing just takes one second, just move your head around to show you are checking. Parallel park im not sure since I was never tested on this. Parking area is at front of the building.

iseenya92

HSC
Yes you do, incase there is a bicycle, it's not a lengthy process, whole thing just takes one second, just move your head around to show you are checking. Parallel park im not sure since I was never tested on this. Parking area is at front of the building.
Ah right thanks for the tip, my instructor told me to just look left and right at set of lights then go! Makes sense since you can just quickly scan from left blindspot and through to right blindspot.

Oh ok, so then at the end of the test it would be just a regular kerb side stop, as you may have done in your test?

Is there any well hidden signs or parts of the route to be particularly mindful of?

- when the road splits from one lane into two you must indicate.
Just for clarification, if you are staying in the lane that follows straight ahead, do you indicate right to say your staying in the right lane? Obviously if going left lane, make the indication.

astroman

HSC
Ah right thanks for the tip, my instructor told me to just look left and right at set of lights then go! Makes sense since you can just quickly scan from left blindspot and through to right blindspot.

Oh ok, so then at the end of the test it would be just a regular kerb side stop, as you may have done in your test?

Is there any well hidden signs or parts of the route to be particularly mindful of?

Just for clarification, if you are staying in the lane that follows straight ahead, do you indicate right to say your staying in the right lane? Obviously if going left lane, make the indication.
At the end of the test if there is space in front of the building to park by the kerb, that is where you do so, if there isn't u are made to go to the underground parking, this is terrible, the parking is very narrow, it's really dark and if you have a large car parking it is extremely difficult and if you hit a car you might fail since your still being tested. No hidden signs, just stay alert for school zones, traffic lights, stop signs,etc.
Don't need to indicate, only indicate if you go in the other lane.

iseenya92

HSC
At the end of the test if there is space in front of the building to park by the kerb, that is where you do so, if there isn't u are made to go to the underground parking, this is terrible, the parking is very narrow, it's really dark and if you have a large car parking it is extremely difficult and if you hit a car you might fail since your still being tested. No hidden signs, just stay alert for school zones, traffic lights, stop signs,etc.
Don't need to indicate, only indicate if you go in the other lane.
I just did my test this morning and luckily I was able to get a spot out the front and then parked out the front upon the end of my test.

Your tips definitely assisted me, as i ended up getting a score of 106. Not sure what the highest score is but only saw a few circles on my test sheet.

I ended up basically doing a massive loop around Penrith, only a few small round-a-bouts and going straight through them, a couple of stop signs (most mainly at streets with a bit of traffic so I easily stopped for more than 3 seconds) and did a kerbside stop and 3 point turn all without any issues.

Feels so good to have my P's :D

astroman

HSC
I just did my test this morning and luckily I was able to get a spot out the front and then parked out the front upon the end of my test.

Your tips definitely assisted me, as i ended up getting a score of 106. Not sure what the highest score is but only saw a few circles on my test sheet.

I ended up basically doing a massive loop around Penrith, only a few small round-a-bouts and going straight through them, a couple of stop signs (most mainly at streets with a bit of traffic so I easily stopped for more than 3 seconds) and did a kerbside stop and 3 point turn all without any issues.

Feels so good to have my P's :D
congrats, enjoy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)