People who took a gap year, this year to work, may not get youth allowance next year. (1 Viewer)

compache

HSC
N/A
Have a read of a few of these link below, because it appears that all the year 12's LAST YEAR who deferred and took a year off to work, may not be eligible for youth allowance.

2009–10 Commonwealth Budget - Education Overview - Making the system fairer
"From 1 January 2010, the workforce participation criteria will be limited to having worked full-time for at least 30 hours a week, for at least 18 months in the last 2 years. Students who have already met the workforce participation criteria, prior to 1 January 2010, will be unaffected. Other independence rules based on personal circumstances will not change."

http://www.standard.net.au/news/local/news/general/youth-allowance-eligibility-changes-has-gap-year-students-in-shock/1512597.aspx

"GAP year students across the south-west were shocked to learn yesterday that their decision to take a year off to qualify for government handouts while studying may come to nothing.

Changes to the rules surrounding Youth Allowance mean school-leavers who deferred their tertiary place to work and qualify for the payments will be ineligible.

Tuesday's Federal Budget revealed the removal of two major eligibility criteria; that the recipient work part-time to earn at least $19,532, over a period of at least 18 months since leaving school.
Young people are working in shops, schools and offices across the region this year in the hope of fulfilling these two criteria and being recognised as "independent" by May next year.
The new system means that this year's gap students will not have completed their required 18-month earning period before the January 1 deadline.
From January 1, they'll need to work full-time for at least 30 hours a week to qualify.

Under the existing rules, an independent full-time university student paying rent can receive about $400 a fortnight and also earn another $236 while studying before losing any of their Youth Allowance payment."
The Career Path - budget impacts on Youth Allowance - ABC Riverina NSW (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
This is also an interesting listen.

What do you reckon?

HSC
Re: People who took a gap year, this year to work, may not get youth allowance next y

Stop fucking leaching the fucking system.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Re: People who took a gap year, this year to work, may not get youth allowance next y

If you earn $1000 a month what do you need youth allowance for anyway? Especially since most of these cunts still live at home. Get fucked. If you move out for a year you count as indepedent regardless of earnings right?

staticsiscool

Banned
HSC

i believe that is the new rule

HSC

Did you get banned for good bigboy, or is this just a new account? Why'd you get banned?
I get banned for allot of stuff.

Mu5hi

Banned
HSC

Stop leeching the system, Youth allowance is gay anyways, they should scrap it

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC

This is me. I took the year off because parental support for my uni degree was drying up, I need to fund the rest of it, and I was hoping I could get the government to do so. I doubt I'll earn the money by the deadline now. I'm only part time, so there's no way I can do the 30hrs a week for 18 months either.

Yes I'm leeching the system, rah rah rah. In the same way that you guys are leeching the systems when you use public health care, PBS, roads etc...

I'm just pissed that they've changed the rules in the middle of the game for me. They're lowering the age of independence from 25 to 22, which would be sweet convenient as I turn 22 next year, but they've delayed the introduction of that policy for a number of years.

I believe in the abolition of welfare as far as is possible and considerate, but this isn't the abolition of welfare, it's just jiggling the rules in a minor way that punishes me arbitrarily.

If you move out for a year you count as indepedent regardless of earnings right?
Nah, that's not the case. I haven't lived at home for three years. I don't get a dollar off my parents. Earning $19'000 is the easiest way to qualify for independence.

izzy88

HSC

If you move out for a year you count as independent regardless of earnings right?
this has never been the case. The earnings/working hours are the only thing the government regards as making you independent (well except for being married or having a child). Otherwise i could have qualified years ago- especially considering my family lives a good five hours from sydney where i'm at uni...

edit: oops hadn't realised graney had already said it. oh well.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC

If you earn $1000 a month what do you need youth allowance for anyway? Especially since most of these cunts still live at home. Get fucked. If you move out for a year you count as indepedent regardless of earnings right?
1. After HSC, take a year off to work, qualify for youth allowance.
2. Next year move a long distance away to university, with expensive accomodation costs.
3. Pay this with youth allowance so you don't have to work whilst studying.
4. ???
4. Profit (Not actually)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)