• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Performance IP inspiration? (1 Viewer)

Tall_gal

Does anyone have any suggestions for books that could inspire me for my performance IP? I really havnt started.

fringey

HSC
What sort of performance piece are you interested in doing?

dezzy

HSC
yes..i need inspiration as well!!!

Originally posted by fringey
What sort of performance piece are you interested in doing?
wat do u mean?

fringey

HSC
comedy, absudist, pscho (plz don't), realistic, dark, cruelty?
Or do you have a specific kind of character i.e.. a young boy, an old lady?
Or a theme you would like to explore i.e death, love, hate etc.....

Tall_gal

Not comedy. Straight. With serious themes. Not too sexual though. my last performance was so sexual that i had to ask my mum to leave the room while our group performed

Tall_gal

realistic probably, either sex, but not a teen. I dont want to play a character close to my age. But not a tear jerky "im gonna cry cause i can pull it off either". I wouldnt mind incorporating expressionistic movement or dance in it either. Have any of u done any of the NIDA summer courses? Im considering doing one.

fringey

HSC
Dezzy get into some of Samuel Beckett's work -- awesome!!

Tall_gal: Think about a theme that you are interesting theme that you would like to perform and brainstorm around that. Do something weird i.e. not love, hate, deception. Aim to challenge the audience. Other than that I have no idea. Listen to some classical music for inspiration. Trust me, it works!
(man, how often do I say "i.e"!!)

Tall_gal

Thanks Fringey. It would be easier if i didn't keep thinking that im gonna stuff this up.

fringey

HSC
thats a good point. I didnt do performance but I was pretty much the same. I kept thinking about whether the markers would like my ideas and what would impress them. But, it is really amazing if you just relax and spend time alone what ideas will come to you. And thats how it works it is instant. One day you just go, bang i have my idea. Don't worry too much ppl in my class stil hadn't learnt their pieces a week b4 they had to be performed! So chillax!

fringey

HSC
I love Brecht. That would be really good. I don't know of any specifically you would have to read a few plays for yourself.

Barbie_Bitch

have you read "threepenny opera" at all? you could try piecing a monlogue from that. i studied brecht last year so yeah. i forget what the other play we did was called. i think it might have been the caucasian chalk circle or mother courage. but yeah. they're full plays but you could have a look

skankit

really creepy character...

i dunno if you've read sunrise by louis nowra? anyway theres this little girl in it called venice, and shes really really weird. if i hadve chosen performance, i was gonna use her.. i dunno, just a suggestions, but shes a really good character, i reckon
:apig:

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
has anyone else noticed the trend towards the 'funny' ones being considered exemplars and offered onstage? i saw program b, and only one of them wasn't based around humour. just a thought if onstage is your aim.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)