• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

PHYS1121/1131 Requires which Laboratory Manual? (1 Viewer)

purebladeknight

HSC
I can't figure out exactly which Laboratory manual the notes are referring to :vcross:-
If you look at the "notes" column on this page for PHYS1121/1131:
Code:
http://www.timetable.unsw.edu.au/2011/PHYS1131.html
it says "Laboratory manuals are needed for all classes, and can be purchased from UNSW bookshop." Being slightly more detailed on this page:
Code:
http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/COURSES/FIRST_YEAR/pdf%20files/Initial_info_1A_2010T1.pdf
it says:
Laboratory Manual and Homework Problems Booklets
Please purchase the Laboratory Manual in the UNSW Bookshop, and take this with your receipt to the First Year Physics Laboratory (Rm LG01, Lower Ground Floor, Old Main Building, School of Physics), where you may pick up the Physics Homework Problems booklet.
But, it is still vague as to which "Laboratory Manual" you should buy.
Going to the unsw online library index "http://www.library.unsw.edu.au/index.html" will give over 270 results. Narrowing the search down to " Physics Laboratory Manual" still gives over 35 results.

Does anyone know exactly which book is required?

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
It's the same mannual. PHYS1121 and PHYS1131 do the labs together.

It says on the front PHYS1121/PHYS1131

sinophile

HSC
N/A
Go to the UNSW bookshop and it'll be there. Its not like a nice textbook. Its a bunch of A4 papers stapled or binded together, printed by the university sepecifically for the course. I dont think they have it in the library, you have to buy your own, and I believe its $50. PHYS1121 and PHYS1131 do the same lab exercises and use the same manual. The manual also covers the labs for Physics/Higher physics 1b. Coincidentally im selling my old one from last year, pm me if youre interested.

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
I'll sell you a completed one (i.e. with answers) if you want it. The labs are worth what, 30% of the course or something?

HSC
N/A
I'll sell you a completed one (i.e. with answers) if you want it. The labs are worth what, 30% of the course or something?
lol, you kiddos dont understand anything do you

if you go in with someone else's results you will not save time ( you might save what 30minutes if you are lucky each lab, if you are asking to get marked off within the first 30minutes of the lab they know you havent collected results and u get ZERO, simple as that ) .

they will not mark you off until they see that you have collect atleast some of the results yourself and that you know something about the topic that the lab was testing.

HSC
N/A
Also as kazi pointed out in another thread , the demonstrators write your marks in PEN in the mark box, obviously if there are already marks there they will know something is dodgy.

You cannot be a cheapskate and try to sell on your lab manual , they are made for one use by one person only and there are various procedures they have to ensure this.

1. The mark boxes are filled in with a pen.

2. You need to sign a safety declaration at the start of the semester and the form is in the front of the lab book. Also, the lab assistant will go around and check to make sure that everyone has handed in a signed sheet ( and then they sign the front of your book, obviously if the books has already been signed it means that you are reusing it ).

3. If you want to get a copy of the tutorial problems ( not that you will end up doing many as most are really screwed up :| ) then you will need to go to the lab with a NEW lab manual, and they will sign the book to say that you have got tutorial questions , if its its already signed..... ( well u get the picture )

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
I don't think you get it Bored of fail 1. You don't, although I'm sure others do.

HSC
N/A
wtf kind of response is that? are u a retard? you dont even what you are on about when you typed that.

such a vague sentence that u just pulled out of your ass that doesnt address any of the points I put forward, basically the equivalent of "please stop exposing my stupidity"

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
I can see why davidbarnes nearly failed physics and maths, he is so bloody stupid. TIP: just drop out now davidbarnes, you definately arent suited for engineering ( well maybe civil, the easiest engineering around :p )

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
Matthew Goodwin (a.k.a. Bored of fail #1,2,3, etc and random-1003,1004,1005,1006 and a heap of other troll accounts), please leave your basement and experience the real world. That is all.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
You're supposed to get a new mannual, but an old one would be helpful to see how you go about things.

btw civil engineering ftw

sinophile

HSC
N/A
Fucking troll again, looks like I'll have to block yet another account

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)