• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Physiotherapy Vs Pharmacy (1 Viewer)

ARX-8

HSC
Hi everyone!...I'm having some issues about if i should put Pharmacy or Physiotherapy at USyd as my 1st preference, so can any current students help me out or other students considering doing these courses give me their opinion?

1) What is the workload for physiotherapy and pharmacy?
2) In physiotherapy is it true that you sometimes need to strip down?
3) What is the salary for physiotherapy and pharmacy?
4) What is likely to happen concerning UAIs? (The have been fluctuating a bit)
5) For pharmacy do you just add it to your preference list or do you have to do something extra like submit your STAT results separately?
6) Which do you recommend?

I was determined to get into physiotherapy at first because I really love PD and the human body but as the year went on I also started to like chemistry a lot as well...My parents kind of talked me into considering pharmacy after the HSC because they were like "you already did the STAT so don't waste it!" though I only did it for fun...I also went to the USyd open day pharmacy tour thing and I was like..."This is 10 times cooler than I thought"

Thanks!

Last edited:

sydneyphoenix

HSC
N/A
ARX-8 said:
Hi everyone!...I'm having some issues about if i should put Pharmacy or Physiotherapy at USyd as my 1st preference, so can any current students help me out or other students considering doing these courses give me their opinion?

1) What is the workload for physiotherapy and pharmacy?
2) In physiotherapy is it true that you sometimes need to strip down?
3) What is the salary for physiotherapy and pharmacy?
4) What is likely to happen concerning UAIs? (The have been fluctuating a bit)
5) For pharmacy do you just add it to your preference list or do you have to do something extra like submit your STAT results separately?
6) Which do you recommend?

I was determined to get into physiotherapy at first because I really love PD and the human body but as the year went on I also started to like chemistry a lot as well...My parents kind of talked me into considering pharmacy after the HSC because they were like "you already did the STAT so don't waste it!" though I only did it for fun...I also went to the USyd open day pharmacy tour thing and I was like..."This is 10 times cooler than I thought"

Thanks!
1) While I have heard that the workload for physiotherapy is a bit more than other degrees, I can't answer for it with confidence. It is my opinion, however, that 2nd and 3rd year pharmacy subjects are very demanding on students.

2) Hope not!! I know I couldn't bring myself to do that in front of everyone.

3) Physiotherapist get $50,000-60,000 upon graduation. Pharmacy graduate have to go through a pre-reg year with low salary ($30,000), but once they finish that it shoots to around $55,000. However, since there's law against monopoly of pharmacy ownership, you can't make a staggering amount of money such as a million. Don't think there is such restriction on physiotherapy.

4) Physiotherapy UAI tended to fluctuate with some volatility-anything between 95 and 98 in recent memory if my memory serves. Pharmacy UAI has been more stable with range of 95-96.

5) For pharmacy, you have to submit STAT results, though I think it must be done at the time of application in September.

6) If you are interested in human body, biology and directly interacting with patients in health-care setting, go for physiotherapy. If you like chemistry, and wouldn't mind counselling patients regarding issues such as medication regime, consider pharmacy seriously. But make it your choice-no matter what your parents think, it is your degree, and if you originally felt strongly for physiotherapy, you should have a strong case for pharmacy before changing your mind.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)