• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Plagiarism? (1 Viewer)

amaccas

HSC
N/A
I noticed that our lecture notes take unacknowledged chunks of information from the headnote/casenote summaries on lexisnexis. In exams, can we just use this material word for word without acknowledging that it is from lexisnexis?

Timbo650

Supposed to be studying
HSC
N/A
What do your University, Faculty and Unit/subject-specific policies say?
You need to do what those documents say, regardless of what you may see around you.

Where plagiarism and undergrads are concerned, literal compliance is your only option... you may find that the academics may place themselves above the rules that they seek to impose on you.
It's very much a case of do as they say not as they (may or may not) do.

amaccas

HSC
N/A
Yeah I see what you mean. Thanks. In exams I often want to quote the lexis nexis summary as to what was held but I always try and put it into my own words and use the case as authority.

MichaelJackson2

Moonwalker
HSC
Don't think there is plagiarism because, in terms of copyright law, there is only protection of expression rather than ideas. The reason why the publishers of the book 'Da Vinci Code' were unsucessfully sued was because Dan Brown copied ideas of other people for his story rather than expression - in other words the stuff about bloodline and the Knight Templars was such a broad and abstract idea that it didn't constitute copying the previous authors' 'expression' but was just a copy of their general and abstract 'ideas'. Thus, when it comes to case summaries, I'm pretty sure that they would only constitute 'ideas' rather than a unique 'expression', thus there's no copyright infringement.

subdued123

HSC
and just a thought - the headnotes and case summaries are not authoritative. Don't quote them as gospel.

They are written by other lawyers (not the judges) and they famously, can be wrong - especially where it states which judges held what.

Justice Kirby stated in a speech that the CLR headnote in Al-Kateb v Godwin incorrectly stated how he decided the case.

Just a bit of nerdiness for you all.

And I agree with the comments above - (1) for your lecturer to be ripping off the headnote is lazy and (2) you shouldn't follow suit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)