• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Plan for year 12 (2 Viewers)

punkoohi

HSC
After going to a new school, and doing my year 11, i have realised what i need to do for next year, so ive set myself a plan... anyone in the same boat?

My plan:
Everyday after school go to local library and study from 4-8 (Library closes at 8)
Write Notes every night, and read over them
Go home after Library and do the prac. stuff, such as Maths

Thats pretty much it... any one else?

Lori.

HSC
Its not really a good idea to plan to study every second you have of your day - or you'll end up staying up til 1 every night and eventually, you'll burn out.

You need to remember that you wont actually need to write study notes for hours, especially in the beginning of the school year; if you just summarise whatever dot-point in the syllabus you learnt that day in a few lines, you'll be able to stay on top of it all. And next year especially, your teachers are most likely to design your homework around your syllabus, so that your homework is your revision/summary at the same time.

Put time aside for yourself as well; e.g. 1 hour exercise on whatever days, 1 hour TV, dinner, relaxing, and most importantly sleeping! You are going to need at least 8 hours every night. Lots of people think 'this is the HSC, i need to stay up longer to study' - but thats just going to make you more stressed, more fatigued, and you'll end up getting sick and miss school days, maybe even exam days.

So take it a little easier than you have planned out, and you'll be much better off!

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Agreed the best advice is to make a realistic plan something that you can stick to and not all study, although the HSC is an important stepping stone you still need to live a balanced life full of all the things you enjoy and study.

Set goals and what you want to achieve award yourself and start assignments ASAP instead of leaving them to the last minute, it may work in preliminary and might still get you by in HSC but you’re all the better off starting early. Basically a good plan consist of a balance between work and fun as GJV said you need to avoid burning out and that can be done through a realistic plan.

cupcake08

HSC
goodluck with your plan...i always start the year off with those kinds of study plans but never stick to them. i cant imagine year 12 will be any different :eek:

listen to the 06ers and make sure you dont burn yourself out!

Last edited:

kloudsurfer

HSC
Wow, sounds like a pretty hard plan to keep. Thats a lot of studying...when do you get time to chill out?

Thats my problem. I recently started using a timetable, but im the opposite to most people. I can keep it fine, except for the fact that I just find it hard to only study when my timetable says to study, I often study when im supposed to be relaxing in the hope of getting more work done. And then I find that I get burnt out like every second day lol. Like right now, Im supposed to be studying (omg yearlies!!!!!) but Ive done too much already (it was raining at lunch so I went to the libraray, also started studying as soon as I got home :() so now I cant concentrate.

So yeah, too much studying can be just as bad. My plan is too study less. :)

vorahk

HSC
plan? study regularly hopefully, man i really screwed yr 11 up.... soo unorganised.

all last minute assessments... i plan to end those next year :p

way too much mucking around this year ><

LynH1326

HSC
Ok. Try and keep study to about 15mins to start off with and increase it to longer before exams (roughly an hour with 10-15 min break in between).
Remember to factor in times to go out and to not think about school cuz trust me... relaxation time is just as important in HSC success than study.
Assingments always take precedence, so always make sure you spend time on them first before anything else.

Group study is good if you can get a bunch of reliable people together who will be committed to study when it is time to study.

Use past exam papers and test yourself every so often. My english teachers are now getting us to write essay after essay.......... i'm now in burn out mode cuz its too much and i'm not very organised. Plus, i don't learn from essays.

Find the best way you can study and stick to it, although one method will not work for every subject, so be flexible in what you can do.

If you feel sick, take a break. Stress can really affect you in year 12, I've been really sick many times this year which is unusual for me. I spent almost 2 weeks at home from a flu that had taken hold due to stress. That's the cue to cut back on things and to take a look at things. I thought becoming sick wouldn't happen to me, but it did and it can happen to anyone!

Just go with the flow, do as much study as you think you can handle and remember that partying in moderation will always make you feel better because there is more to life than the single number you are reduced to at the end of the HSC. There are many paths into what you want to do, so just do your best!

Last edited:

punkoohi

HSC
yeahh thanks... ive majorly screwed up my yr 11 as well... u dont really know what ur in for... thats why im thankful for year 11... that way we can be prepared for yr 12

syera

HSC
N/A
i dont know if i should make a plan or not. this year, i just did whatever, and its worked pretty well.
i dont know about year 12 though!

karnoganguli

HSC
vorahk said:
plan? study regularly hopefully, man i really screwed yr 11 up.... soo unorganised.

all last minute assessments... i plan to end those next year :p

way too much mucking around this year ><
I know what u mean. I relied on last minute studying/assessments and i got lucky... I did a 3 month ecos project all in one night (got 21/30 so which means i ain't gonna come first).

zizou10-5

HSC
IF U WANT TO MAKE A PLAN, DEN start doing it now, n continue it on next year. Like htis i reckon, do 4 weeks of that, n den some light work for 3 weeks, den go back heavy into ur plan again. Thus u iwll be fresh i reckon.
Like now di din't really study, i just look at the whole text boook, i'm like wtf so much to study

jessdoit

HSC
Holy moly... That's psycho. I cannot imagine spending every afternoon/evening that I have after school, cooped up in the library for 4 hours. Can you seriously realistically see yourself doing this? Because personally I can't. It's unreasonable and it would drive you nutso! Well that's my theory.

Just allocate little bits of time... Try reading the tips or something at the main forum page for Year 11 - Preliminary HSC. They've got the right idea I reckon.

Personally I plan to make sure my preliminary notes are all complete by the end of the holidays... and if you're doing major works in Year 12, make sure you have your idea ready to work on for Term 4. With Year 12... Be sure to complete the homework, for maths primarily and also revise whatever you do for the day and make notes on that. Note-making is a gradual process in my eyes... I'll just open a Word Document and add bits of it on every day. Do textbook summaries gradually too so that you don't have to spaz out when you have an assessment.

I can't really think of anything else for the moment but best of luck to us all! : )

xoxo

HSC
yeh i think i have made 'plans' ever since like year 8 or 9....they lasted maybe a week, if that? i do know that i need to do things a little bit different in yr 12 thought as i have been quite slack this year. i have a plan in my head but i know deep down that it aint gonna happen and that there is no way im gonna stick to it...so i guess ill just take each day as it comes....

goodluck to all of you who are doing prelims now or starting next week (as am i)
study hard!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)