• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

plastics (1 Viewer)

HSC
"identify specific properties of each plastic that make it suitable for that application:
-bathroom
-kitchen
-loungeroom
-bedroom
-car
"

hi guys can u help me wit dis... i didn't no there was really any plastic in a bedroom or loungeroom!!!???? n also does it mean lyk thermo softenin/setting? any1 got a good website to find all dis info???

P

pLuvia

I can't give you specifics, but you can use Wikipedia

But I can tell you that poly(vinyl chloride) [PVC] is a hard and inflexible polymer, but it can be made to be soft. PVC which is soft can be used into electrical insulation and garden hoses.

The rigid ones can be used fo drainage and sewer pipes and also for window frames.

Another plastic is polystyrene is stable to heat and u.v light, thus it can be made into toolhandles, car battery cases, CD cases etc.

As you should know the polystyrene cups and balls for bean bags as well.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Bathroom - For sinks and plumbing, you need a polymer that's tough, does not conduct electricity, is waterproof and corrosion-resistant. For example, PVC (polyvinylchloride).
Kitchen - I'm thinking benchtops, so a plastic that is tough and heat-resistant. Polystyrene?
Loungeroom - What plastics are used in loungerooms? If it's furniture, then maybe something flexible? I really have no idea what plastics are used for in loungerooms.
Bedroom - Likewise.
Car - Car battery cases need to be made of a plastic that is hard and corrosion-resistant. Polystyrene.

A better question would be something like "what plastics would be suitable for CD covers, underground pipes ... etc". Rooms of the house is a bit vague. :p

Anyhow, the only polymers you need to know for the HSC course are polyethylene, polystyrene, polyvinylchloride and a biopolymer of your choice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)