Please need help (1 Viewer)

EMKsquared

HSC
So in year 11 I started with 3u maths but dropped. I did well in 2u and now regret it because I want to do 4u and drop 2 subjects. Apparently these courses can be done in Tafe. Now could I do 3u and 4u in tafe despite not doing year 11 3u course? Could I jus do the 3u prelim course and then push up maths in school and continue there? Is it exactly the same course? Do you still sit the HSC with the school or Tafe? And another question, could I learn the whole prelim chem course and enroll in the y12 class at school? Or would that also occur at Tafe if possible? So basically what I'm asking that if I can do these courses with my situations and would they be exactly the same like at school but at Tafe? Your a legend if you reply. P.s I know that it would be highly unrecommended for me to do this but I think it'll help me now and later and I honestly think i can excel in these courses.

leehuan

HSC
Q: Could you do 3U + 4U without 3U prelim
A: Short answer - no. Alternative - If you get registered to just do the prelim course along WITH the HSC course THIS YEAR, yes.
What do I mean? Last year I was accelerated in 3U. But I did 3U prelim and 3U HSC in the one year. And I sat exams for both courses. But it's hard to find an offer for this.

Q: Could you just do the 3u prelim course and push
A: Not unless you've sat assessments for it.

Q: Same course?
A: Of course, yes

Q: Sit exam with TAFE?
A: If you studied it at TAFE, you will most likely be sitting it at TAFE.

Q: Could you learn the whole prelim course and then enroll in Yr 12
A: Again, you must sit assessments for it. However, whereas maths can be done by just giving you mini exams, chemistry will be much harder. They have to assess you on prac skills and give you a research task as well as the mid yearly and prelim exams.

EMKsquared

HSC
Ok so for 3u maths I'll have to do preliminary and hsc course with 30 weeks and chemistry the same but I sit larger exams for prelim stuff?and if I'm doing the 3u prelim course can I still do 4u as well?

EMKsquared

HSC
Actually I think I only want to do chem now. Way too hard to do 3u and 4u including prelim. So can I learn chemistry over the holidays and then sit assemen tasks saying I am qualified for the prelim course and then do the hsc course at Tafe? Or would I have o do it in all one go like maths? Thanks for the reply before, helped me a lot, otherwise probably would've done it and then got screwed over.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Actually I think I only want to do chem now. Way too hard to do 3u and 4u including prelim. So can I learn chemistry over the holidays and then sit assemen tasks saying I am qualified for the prelim course and then do the hsc course at Tafe? Or would I have o do it in all one go like maths? Thanks for the reply before, helped me a lot, otherwise probably would've done it and then got screwed over.
Pretty sure you have to do it in a single go. Prelim/HSC is combined in a single year.

leehuan

HSC
Problem is where and how are you going to do all the assessments?

That's the hard part, not whether it is possible or not. Anything is possible if they allow it. Doing prelim and HSC in the one year does not go against BOSTES' regulations.
--------------------
e.g. In Yr 11 chemistry I had:
A research task on industrial seperation (which I did petroleum)
A half yearly exam
A prac task on solubility and precipitation
A prac task on enthalpy change
A prelim exam
That's a lot to do so quickly

Last edited:

EMKsquared

HSC
Thanks for the replied. I know its alot to do I'm still going to consider it bu I think I can push my self to do it and even maybe learn the prelim course ove the holidays via a tutor to make it easier. I s either that or pd which I know I can get a band 6 in but chem interests me more and is assumed knowledge for my umi course

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)