• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Poetry People: Naming your collections? (1 Viewer)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I'm having a lot of trouble naming my collection of poems!!!!!!

My original title was going to be "Dancer: A Ballet in Two Acts"
but now I don't want to the word two there, because I'm using the multiplicity of meaning of "acts" (acting, and acts in a stage performance) but I think there are more than two "acts" to the complexity of a dancer.....

So then I was going to call it "Dancer: A Ballet in Acts" but it doesn't have the same ring to it!!!

So now I am stumped!!! I could just call it "Dancers" but that seems too plain and doesn't have any special meanings or anything......

So how did you go about naming your poetry collections?

Also, can you use different fonts? I wanted to use a different font for the titles of the poems, then just use times new roman for the text, is that allowed? It just seems too plain all in times new roman, with just the headings bolded.

Also, do we need to number the pages etc?

Jinglebell

HSC
you could try "Dancer: A Ballet in Multiple Acts"...that kinda incorporates the multiplicity thing as well...

just a thought if you're still stumped:)

Huy

HSC
N/A
Also, can you use different fonts? I wanted to use a different font for the titles of the poems, then just use times new roman for the text, is that allowed? It just seems too plain all in times new roman, with just the headings bolded.
i think it's just times new roman, size 12 throughout
nothing fancy, double spacing as well.

Also, do we need to number the pages etc?
yes, pages should be numbered

also, a cover page should be attached
with your student number, centre number, medium (print medium for poetry) and of course the title of the work/suite

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
Originally posted by braindrainedAsh
although i am not doing poetry, i am using a range of different fonts in my short story collection. as far as i can tell, people would have in the past as well (judging by some of the 'postmodern' entries in the young writer's showcase). i think the main thing would be, are you using a different font as a technique, or for a particular reason of relative importance overall? if not.. then probably stick with the times new roman.

realistically though, if i were you, i would just use a nice font for the titles... the marker isnt very well going to go 'well i WAS going to give this project 50,.... but given that the headings are a different font to the poems, im just going to have to give it 30.'

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
im sure i saw some of the poems in the standards package using a whole variety of fonts... i think some even used different colours and things like that.

and how about

Dancer: A ballet of many acts.

or...

Poetry: A Collection

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Hehe- thanks for your suggestions... it just looks so bland having the titles in TNR.... I'll ask my teacher what he thinks when I get back to school (yay... I can't wait :rolleyes: )

huck fenn

'fusion'

Using Veranda 10.5, which is basically TNR 12, but more neutral, less new yorkey. 1.5 spacing... a compromise.

Ash, you don't happen to have a mother who is an art teacher do you?

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
No lol my mother is far from artistic. Why do you ask? Do you know someone else who has written dance poetry!! eeeekkk!

I decided on Dancer: A Ballet in Multiple Acts....... thank you so much Jinglebell, I hope you don't mind that I'm using it!!!!! I was just having a mental block about what I could replace the "two" with........

huck fenn

nono

just that i know an Ashley (i think) in Albury who's mother is the art teacher at some school...

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Ah right, well, tis not me!!!!

I was having a panic there for a second, I thought someone might be calling their MW the same title or something!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)