point of interest (1 Viewer)

HSC
just a note of interest, according to our deputy principal, if a student from my school (baulkham hills high) gets around average for their courses, they will get a UAI of usually at least 97

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
So? I dont think anyones cares? I think you are negating the fact that you will need to do subjects with a large candiditure in the school.

HSC
that should be no problem. all the sciences have large candidature in my school.

santaslayer

HSC
u just have to look at the past stats for ur skool...if about half or more of the school got above 90's then i'd say theres a fair chance....is baulko selective?

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Yes. Im sure the median is over 95.

-neurosurgeon- said:
that should be no problem. all the sciences have large candidature in my school.
Then no need to create threads to reassure yourself of attaining a high enough uai to gain entry into 'unsw med'

santaslayer

HSC
sikeveo said:
Yes. Im sure the median is over 95.

Then no need to create threads to reassure yourself of attaining a high enough uai to gain entry into 'unsw med'
You're nasty.
So what if she wants reassurance?

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
I agree, I shouldn't numb her enthuisiasm for a course whereby 2900 applications are received for roughly 140 standard places.

santaslayer

HSC
sikeveo said:
I agree, I shouldn't numb her enthuisiasm for a course whereby 2900 applications are received for roughly 140 standard places.
What makes you so sure she isn't good enough to be accepted?

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Quote me where I said that. Obsessing about a course and how to gain entrance to it isn't healthy especially in such a competitive environment where its a given that most people are aiming for the stars.

Im sure she'll become a doctor if she has the perserverance, however there is a line when it comes to enthusiasm.

santaslayer

HSC
sikeveo said:
Quote me where I said that. Obsessing about a course and how to gain entrance to it isn't healthy especially in such a competitive environment where its a given that most people are aiming for the stars.

Im sure she'll become a doctor if she has the perserverance, however there is a line when it comes to enthusiasm.
You make it sound like she's going to commit suicide if she fails.

The more you talk, the more you sound like 66daystogo, and the more I wanna do what I was going top do on monday morning.

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Who knows? I didn't like 66daystogo either, so do what you wanted to do on monday. All this stemmed from one comment about the reputation of Law schools. lol.

santaslayer

HSC
sikeveo said:
Who knows? I didn't like 66daystogo either, so do what you wanted to do on monday. All this stemmed from one comment about the reputation of Law schools. lol.
It started because you were were trolling around various forums. You caught my attention because you made a post that was directed at me. Whether it was a law one or not isn't really an issue.

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
You have a lot of pride in the university you attend, hence my apology in the post incase I offended you.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
-neurosurgeon- said:
just a note of interest, according to our deputy principal, if a student from my school (baulkham hills high) gets around average for their courses, they will get a UAI of usually at least 97
Viv, the predicted median for our grade is 98+ so our estimates are based around that. I'm above average for 2/3 of my subjects (ranked 1st in one), but I'm below average in Business- Usually the median goes up every year.

Btw as for "Is baulko selective"- in 2004, according to SMH;

1. James Ruse Agricultural High School
2. North Sydney Girls High School
3. Baulkham Hills High School
4. Sydney Girls High School
5. Sydney Grammar School
6. North Sydney Boys High School
7. Sydney Boys High School
8. Pymble Ladies' College
9. Moriah College
10. Barker College
11. Hornsby Girls High School
12. St George Girls High School
13. Hurlstone Agricultural High School
14. Sydney Technical High School
15. Abbotsleigh
16. MLC Burwood
17. Trinity Grammar School
18. Fort Street High School
19. Gosford High School
20. Merewether High School
One day we'll beat Ruse =]

studynoob

HSC
N/A
i knew a family friend a girl that got 89.8 uai last year in baulkham hills high she cried for a week straight because she didnt make the cut for her uni subject! i think she wanted to do psychology or something like that! poor girl she had a advantage! :(

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
-neurosurgeon- said:
Making a statement like that depends whether the schools performance is consistent with previous years, which in most cases tend to be, with only some minor shifting in ranks in the top 10 places.

And I'm not sure what you mean by getting around average for their courses. What courses? and what is average? Standards can very quite differently between schools.

But as a straight comment, your deputy is probably right, but I'd say slightly exaggerated. I'd say at least 94 rather than 97 if you are talking about average type of marks.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Viv- the median UAI is 98 in our school, so essentially if you are gaining average in all your subjects then you would be around the middle of the school hypothetically. Of course this isn't exactly true since different subjects will scale differently, you could have a dumb class or whatever.. but it's based on past years performance. Don't forget that our school averages are artificially modified to allow for differentiation of students and comparisons. The average is always brought down (or up) to between 75% and 85%, and the standard deviation has a special formula which our school uses. Prior to submission to the Board of Studies, our raw marks are supposedly "boosted" to make them more in line with what would be expected across the state, however, the big boost comes when the marks are aligned (after the HSC exams) with other schools.

To ragerunner- course is referring to the subject- eg. English Advanced is a course, IPT is a course, Economics is a course. Average refers to our school's average mark in these courses.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)