Political management theory (1 Viewer)

aussiechica

Can anyone here give me a def and explanation of this theory? I just dont get it!
According to my text, "political man theory describes what managers actually do, rather then what they should do". WTF!

Any help appreciated!

Golani

what text book do you use ffs?
lol
political management practices emphasise the need for negotiation, recognition of coalitions and power centres in the business and consideration in the views and demands of stakeholders.

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
yeah golani pretty much got it spot on...

its emphasis is the negotiation and use of power..there are 5 types of power

1. Legitimate power - It is given because eof status within the firm.

2. expert power - It emerges as a result of a persons skills and expertise, and it is usually the reason for which the person was employed.

3. referent power - It comes from peoples individual characteristics and inspires and influences others

4. reward power - Reward power relates to the rewards or the compensation a manager distributes for doing a good job.

5. Coercive power - Coercive power controls individuals in the organisation by the actions or words of the manager.

symo

HSC
4. reward power - Reward power relates to the rewards or the compensation a manager distributes for doing a good job.

5. Coercive power - Coercive power controls individuals in the organisation by the actions or words of the manager.

this is what i first had; but another text book said;

reward; derived from the ability to reward others
coercive; derived from the ability to punish others

anyone wanna clear this up??
cheer Adam

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
Originally posted by symo

this is what i first had; but another text book said;

reward; derived from the ability to reward others
coercive; derived from the ability to punish others

anyone wanna clear this up??
cheer Adam
yeha its the same thing.... excpt ur def is more black and white.. but in a nutshell, its pretyt much it..

natstar gal u r on fire.. hahaha

aussiechica

Golani, I use Leading Edge textbook nowadays. Normally, its quite simple, but yeah, their explaination of political theory was bodge.

Thanks all for your help! Much obliged

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)