Pompeii and Herculaneum Food Question (1 Viewer)

ringout13

HSC
N/A
All you people going on about donkeys grinding and people selling bread will not get marks for saying that.
The question was to use the source to describe how food was prepared...
That means describe whats in the source
eg the teracotta pots used for keeping the food cool or warm and the marble bench to prepare the food. also the gap between the benches for the worker to have room to prepare the food.
pretty simple just use the source, it didnt say use other sources.

NBAD

HSC
I Completely forgot to mention the source!!

I just mentioned garum and how it was produced by "boiling the fish and squishing it into a fine paste"...

and teh quoestion on New kingdom egype about omb decorations (10 markds)

bye bye band 6

ringout13

HSC
N/A
NBAD said:
I Completely forgot to mention the source!!

I just mentioned garum and how it was produced by "boiling the fish and squishing it into a fine paste"...

and teh quoestion on New kingdom egype about omb decorations (10 markds)

bye bye band 6
yeh man its ok dont end your life over it. you will get a couple of marks...

p342i

HSC
REGARDING THE WORD "USING SOURCE X"

It seems that everyone thinks this means say what the source is when all you have to do is extract meaning from it.

With everyone talking about the food bar in the context of a thermopilian, who is to say that the area was not designated as a food preparation AND/OR distribution area within either the MACELUM or CEREALS MARKET?

Hence i see it valid to introduce the Forum as an area of relevance.

BTW: "using source x" means you must infer from the source, but you can still go beyond it, so long as you link you information back to some aspect located within the source.

IE: If you want to talk about Garum or fish oils or dressing or anything else, then all you needed to do was say that these items were served over food bars such as the one pictured in source x.

People who think that you cant use your own knowledge are idiots. In accordance with that mindset, you are essentially saying that ANYONE (even those who havent done ancient history) could just walk in, look at the source, and write 4 marks of information on it. NONSENSE!

You have to use your own knowledge to extract meaning, and sometimes that includes going beyond the content presented within the source.

For all those people who talked about bread grinders and Garum, dont worry. I'll be proved right on the 19th December.

jesuschrist

HSC
I found that to be the hardest question in the p and h section.
PREPARED
wtf
sold easy
prepared not so easy
hrmmm. they cooked it......?
oh welll

i also thought that the second q as a bait strange .... two effects of the erruption on the people???? They got ash in their pores and then died????

forum question was ok you can talk about preeeeety much anything :)

oplontis question was tops :) yay HEAPS to talk about, philodemus, the lady with the terracotta, oplontis, analysis of timbers, and roads:) yay im glad the bigger questions were easy :)

JuliaT

HSC
undotwa said:
The question said "Using source x", so I interpreted that I was only meant to talk about what was represented within the source. So I didn't talk about anything else (like bakeries etc.). We didn't really study this in class either and so I just simply described features within the source, which suggested how food was prepared and sold i.e. food kept warm over the counter in pots for ready access by consumers. I couldn't remember any specific names, but I'm not sure whether this was strictly necessary as the question did not not imply that one ought to bring in one's own knowledge. I could be really wrong however.
yea, that's a problem i have with that particular question format, i never know if i can talk about stuff outside the source. i mean, they're always on your ass about referencing the sources when they tell you to, so theoretically you should do exactly what the question says, and it DOESN"T say 'and knowledge from other sources', so what do you do?

for me, i saw the question during reading time and hated it, but then, when going through the exam, miraculously managed to SKIP THE PAGE ENTIRELY, and thus missed out on the whole four marks.

i feel bitter, because, even though it was a bogus question, i totally could have fudged 2 or 3 marks in only a short time. sucks to be me, in any case.

i had no idea what those things were, i had seen some pics of them in some books i was reading once, and was like 'what the F are those things and how do they work?', but stupidly never actually looked into it.

i probably would have talked about all the different food they ate, mentioned the charcoal tripods because i actually know about those, and then talked about how they were all vacationy and commerical with tonnes of bakeries and fast food joints and inns and stuff.

(but we'll never know how i did, will we, because i MISSED THE DARNED QUESTION >< *very bitter*)

Princesa

HSC
this was the hardest q in the pompeii section - and i totally blame my teacher for it. my class was so screwed cos we've kept having replacements all year, who don't even now what they're teaching us. we just sorta skimmed over this in class and i reckon i waffled on a bit. i just stuck to the source cos that's what the question asked. the only piece of info i could really remember was that in pompeii food bars were mostly found around the ampitheatre and streets into the city. i'll be lucky if i get 2mks out of this question, but i'm over it.

boot.

HSC
yous are all nerds
i wrote like one sentence
you will all get 100
dont worry:rofl:

BellaR

HSC
My teacher totally glazed that one. I talked about the crops they grew (forgot to mention the garum), seafood harvested, then said that they prepared food at snack bars, taverns, bakeries and villas (olive oil and wine from surrounding vineyards). O yeah, and they sold it in the Forum's Macellum. Felt like I didn't answer it right, though. Didn't know nearly enough technical terms on the exam!

urgay

HSC
:santa:
BellaR said:
My teacher totally glazed that one. I talked about the crops they grew (forgot to mention the garum), seafood harvested, then said that they prepared food at snack bars, taverns, bakeries and villas (olive oil and wine from surrounding vineyards). O yeah, and they sold it in the Forum's Macellum. Felt like I didn't answer it right, though. Didn't know nearly enough technical terms on the exam!
listen guys, ur all moaners....don't rely on ur teachers, mine was crap crap crap, didnt even know the dates of the julio-clauddians...but theres no reason to complain u have a text book
the source was easy, u just called it a thermapolia, the hot plate things were called doila, the furnace/ ovens underneath stored the food and kept hot until served, u ate standing up or take away, there were many of htese suituatied near forum and ampitheature cos of nature of commerical city
DUHHHHH!

EXCEPT i bummed out on the tech question cos i dont know about anyone else ibut i used pamela bradelyes red cities of vesuvius txt, and it has hardly anything besides a mind map on the technolgies....

edgelroo

HSC
My class found this question a little left-field, but i just crapped on about what i could.

Cabrello

HSC
urgay said:
listen guys, ur all moaners....don't rely on ur teachers, mine was crap crap crap, didnt even know the dates of the julio-clauddians...but theres no reason to complain u have a text book

Now I'm not one to complain here, but I want to present the flipside. There are some of us who don't have textbooks on Pompeii and Herculaneum, my el povo public school asks for 1 000 bucks a year from each student and then wastes money on a puppet theatre for the 10 drama students in the senior school, despite the fact we no longer have a drama teacher...ok im just a little bitter that the history department didn't get funding to update their textbooks.

I'm lucky, I have an amazing teacher for ancient, modern and extension history who happens to have a lot of material himself and all our sourcework came from his photos when he went to pompeii and herculaneum himself and a compilation from when the school taught pompeii and herculaneum in year 11, but beyond the basic works of plutarch and seutonius we don't have up to date textbooks, instead we have to bludge off the USYD library.

Imagine a school in rural NSW thats probably as poor as us and doesnt have the huge resources of Sydney Uni behind it

p342i

HSC
Cabrello said:
Now I'm not one to complain here, but I want to present the flipside. There are some of us who don't have textbooks on Pompeii and Herculaneum, my el povo public school asks for 1 000 bucks a year from each student and then wastes money on a puppet theatre for the 10 drama students in the senior school, despite the fact we no longer have a drama teacher...ok im just a little bitter that the history department didn't get funding to update their textbooks.

I'm lucky, I have an amazing teacher for ancient, modern and extension history who happens to have a lot of material himself and all our sourcework came from his photos when he went to pompeii and herculaneum himself and a compilation from when the school taught pompeii and herculaneum in year 11, but beyond the basic works of plutarch and seutonius we don't have up to date textbooks, instead we have to bludge off the USYD library.

Imagine a school in rural NSW thats probably as poor as us and doesnt have the huge resources of Sydney Uni behind it
Well said Cabrello, though I might sound a bit hypocritical as I go to (or use to pre-graduation) a private school.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)