Prefered Modules and Electives in EE1. (1 Viewer)

C

Crazy Pomo

Who, in retrospect, would have prefer to have studied a different Elective or even a different module within the EE1 course. If so which one and why?

Personally, I was well happy with Pomo but only cause I had strong opinions of the texts studied. Loved FLW, wary toward Orlando but liked it as a film, and I liked seeing the class' and teachers reactions to the conservatism in Dead White Males, and though it okish, but fucking terrible as a peice of theatre.

The creative side of Pomo was good cause you could do whatever, approprirape a style or genre and get away with it. I would have loved to do Genre: Crime Fiction (I think you can do that) cause I understand The Real Inspector Hound is up for study, (at least as an ORT) and I get wet over that play, anything by Stoppard floats my boat though. But if one chose to, one could write in a crime fiction genre anyway, if one did Pomo. The problem with the pomo, I found, was that it was 90% bullshit and the teacher could barely teach it, and her understanding had a stultifying feminist tract. Get with the times bitch ... neo feminism is dead. Embrace PostFeminism. Or at least teach us some theorists and get a professional to speak to us. Fool. Thankyou *absolution* for one of the greatest study guides known to man/child.

taxman

make poverty
HSC
I would of loved to have done Post Modernism for sure. I did Crime Fiction and found it for the most pretty good...but that's in hindsight. I hated the thing all year and I'm glad to be done with it.

I wish there was an option to do EE2 but not EE1...

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
Crazy Pomo said:
Who, in retrospect, would have prefer to have studied a different Elective or even a different module within the EE1 course. If so which one and why?

Personally, I was well happy with Pomo but only cause I had strong opinions of the texts studied. Loved FLW, wary toward Orlando but liked it as a film, and I liked seeing the class' and teachers reactions to the conservatism in Dead White Males, and though it okish, but fucking terrible as a peice of theatre.

The creative side of Pomo was good cause you could do whatever, approprirape a style or genre and get away with it. I would have loved to do Genre: Crime Fiction (I think you can do that) cause I understand The Real Inspector Hound is up for study, (at least as an ORT) and I get wet over that play, anything by Stoppard floats my boat though. But if one chose to, one could write in a crime fiction genre anyway, if one did Pomo. The problem with the pomo, I found, was that it was 90% bullshit and the teacher could barely teach it, and her understanding had a stultifying feminist tract. Get with the times bitch ... neo feminism is dead. Embrace PostFeminism. Or at least teach us some theorists and get a professional to speak to us. Fool. Thankyou *absolution* for one of the greatest study guides known to man/child.
I agree, pomo was the bomb. I found it quite difficult to get a grip on it but feel that studying it has been immensly useful both in terms of my writing and my general outlook. Not that I'm a pomoist but it has opened my mind like a pistachio. Like you Crazy Pomo I didn't always feel that it was being taught properly... but then it is a very hard topic to learn, let alone teach. Gotta give your teacher credit for trying. yes, I would also like to extend my thanks to absolution, for future pomo students- it is the best guide around and contains almost everything you need for the pomo elective and more. It is stikied in the extension english forum.

taxman- I so agree with your last sentence. I wouldn't have done ext english except for ext 2 english.

Last edited:
HSC
Yeah, I really wanted to do Postmodernism too, but our school only ever does Crime Fiction or Individual and Society

bernz

Hungry. Feed me.
HSC
taxman said:
I wish there was an option to do EE2 but not EE1...
If you didn't do the EE1 exam, like, dropped EE1 right before the HSC (but after handing in your MW), would your EE2 MW still get marked?

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
bernz said:
If you didn't do the EE1 exam, like, dropped EE1 right before the HSC (but after handing in your MW), would your EE2 MW still get marked?
ext 2 MW's already have been marked. But I guess they could refuse to award you the mark if you NAed ext 1 eng.

nwatts

HSC
I would have preferred postmodernism over crime fiction. I also would have preferred the old genre elective of the essay over crime fiction. That being said, I loved some of the texts studied in crime fiction. Anil's Ghost/The Real Inspector Hound = fantastic.

Asheroth

Paranoid Android
HSC
I really can't stand Anil's Ghost. I did CF and it's just so hard to read and even harder to analyse.

I would have quite liked to do either Speculative Fiction (Dune as a prescribed text? Get in!) or Pomo.

C

Crazy Pomo

Purist?

bernz said:
Why on earth would you do that. But yeah, our EE2 teacher thinks it's a massive shame that you can't do EE2 without EE1. Of course they are supposed to be extension of each other (you know what I mean) but it's a pity cause heaps of well creative kids can't do EE2 cause EE1 isn't their thing. Oh well, keeps the classes pure I guess.

HSC
N/A
My teachers also felt that EE1 should not be a prerequisite, as the actual content and direction of the two courses is vastly different (although they're "supposed" to be sort of the same thing).

But I guess this is the only way they can force people to do EE1...

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
i would have liked to have studied "retreat from the global"....haha as if!

but seriously, i wouldn't have minded post modernism but wi was pretty happy with sitting about for a yr watching pride and prejudice :D

supergirl

HSC
I wish I had done Post-Modernism, but our school only offers Crime, Spec and Individual and Society, the latter being my original choice.
BAH.
Worst course ever, I hated it with a passion.

C

Crazy Pomo

supergirl said:
I wish I had done Post-Modernism, but our school only offers Crime, Spec and Individual and Society, the latter being my original choice.
BAH.
Worst course ever, I hated it with a passion.
(Counciler - esque) Now deary, hate is a strong word don't you think. Hah jokes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)