Prelim Chem Thread (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hey guys, I have a couple questions I'm kinda stuck on:

1. What steel products can be recycled relatively easily

2. Large quantities of lead are recycled. From what products is lead most easily recycled?

3. Why is it difficult to recycle zinc?

I have some ideas, but I'm not confident at all that they're right.

1. Steel products that have been galvanised so no rusting (or much less) occurs, and so it can be put back into use more easily. I was also thinking if during the recycling process they changed alloys (say from mild steel to stainless steel or something) steels with higher concentrations of iron would be more easily recycled (as it has less impurities and can be mixed with other materials more easily), but then I though that there is absolutely no reason to change alloys during recycling, so I think that is wrong.

2. I was thinking lead would be most easily recycled in products with other low reactivity materials (so the lead doesn't react) and materials with higher concentrations of lead would also be most easily recycled I (just thinking that because maybe lead is purified again for use in other products when it is recycled? I don't really know.)

3. I didn't really have an answer at all for this, if it was an exam I would have put something like "Zinc is fairly reactive and so it can react with other materials in the products it is used in, and so to extract it more energy is required (as chemical bonds have formed, and physical separation will not suffice). Also, zinc is usually less prominent in alloys and other products, which makes it harder to recycle."

Please help with these questions. Thanks!

cottonboy99

HSC
1. Imply possible future implementation of metals

2. Predict and describe observable changes for each of the following reactions

Iron + Oxygen over a 5 year period

Iron + Water over a 5 year period

Iron + Sulfuric acid over a 5 day period

Sodium + Oxygen

Sodium + Water

Sodium + Sulfuric Acid

Magnesium + Oxygen over a 5 year period

Magnesium + Water over a 5 year period

Magnesium + Sulfuric acid

3. Outline the use of a metals for a purpose based on its reactivity

4. Describe the relationship between the reactive activities of metals and their positions on the Periodic Table

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Best wishes with your studies.

Last edited:
HSC
Hey guys, I have a couple questions I'm kinda stuck on:

1. What steel products can be recycled relatively easily

2. Large quantities of lead are recycled. From what products is lead most easily recycled?

3. Why is it difficult to recycle zinc?

I have some ideas, but I'm not confident at all that they're right.

1. Steel products that have been galvanised so no rusting (or much less) occurs, and so it can be put back into use more easily. I was also thinking if during the recycling process they changed alloys (say from mild steel to stainless steel or something) steels with higher concentrations of iron would be more easily recycled (as it has less impurities and can be mixed with other materials more easily), but then I though that there is absolutely no reason to change alloys during recycling, so I think that is wrong.

2. I was thinking lead would be most easily recycled in products with other low reactivity materials (so the lead doesn't react) and materials with higher concentrations of lead would also be most easily recycled I (just thinking that because maybe lead is purified again for use in other products when it is recycled? I don't really know.)

3. I didn't really have an answer at all for this, if it was an exam I would have put something like "Zinc is fairly reactive and so it can react with other materials in the products it is used in, and so to extract it more energy is required (as chemical bonds have formed, and physical separation will not suffice). Also, zinc is usually less prominent in alloys and other products, which makes it harder to recycle."

Please help with these questions. Thanks!
Hey can anyone help with these?

ThreeSciences

HSC

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)