• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Prelim. vs HSC Economics (1 Viewer)

Shazer2

HSC
I've been told by a few people that the HSC course for economics is much easier than the prelim. course, is this true? I struggled a bit in prelim. so I was hoping that it gets easier and more understandable.

:)

Hot potato

HSC
I don't think its easier, but having said that I didn't find prelim difficult. What I would say is that the HSC course is a lot more interesting and relevant than prelim. I found prelim very dry and found it difficult to place where the content was coming from, however HSC is set out much better and so in that sense you may find it easier to follow than prelim.

Shazer2

HSC
That's true. I guess I'll have to wait and see. :)

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
My teacher told my class that the hsc course is more difficult then the preliminary, however it does seem like it will be more engaging.

Shazer2

HSC
That's odd, mine said exactly the opposite. The worst part is, my teacher described the prelim. course as "insultingly easy", but I still failed. :(

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
That's odd, mine said exactly the opposite. The worst part is, my teacher described the prelim. course as "insultingly easy", but I still failed. :(
I wouldn't say it is easy, especially when you compare to to business studies for example which you can just rote learn.

Shazer2

HSC
Well, that is just what she said. :p

What is this "ROTE" learning?

starshine02

HSC
My teacher said that hsc economics required more understanding of the content and knowing more about current affairs but otherwise it wouldn't be too much harder. also rote learning is essentially just memorizing information rather than understanding it

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
My teacher said that hsc economics required more understanding of the content and knowing more about current affairs but otherwise it wouldn't be too much harder. also rote learning is essentially just memorizing information rather than understanding it
Yeah that ^^, try doing that in eco and you won't get that far. Business studies is simply regurgitation of content most of the time.

RishBonjour

HSC
lol. i don't remember anything from prelim, but hsc economics, if you get it, you will kill it!

but ppl who studied in yr 11 will get a slight advantage imo, few thing come up in hsc.

lpower3

HSC
I think HSC eco is 10 x easier than prelim.
pretty much the majority of the stuff you are learning in HSC eco is easy relate to (in terms of current affairs i.e. balance of payments, economic objectives, economic policy etc) as opposed to year 11 which is largely theoretical..

good luck :)

MasonT

HSC
Theres a massive difference between prelim and actual HSC. The way I see it, is prelim focuses on the structure and influences on the economy on individuals, firms and governments and how all aspects of the economy work together.

However, with the HSC I've noticed they don't generally always cover those aspects. It more looks into how Australia as a whole (instead of specific functions such as share markets in prelim) relate to the Global Economy and what are the internal issues facing the Australian economy and the policies towards them. HSC course is harder because it derives off prelim functions (such as knowledge in product, factor markets, opportunity costs, models, share markets, government responses, labour market policies, etc) but also it continues into the aspects of specific issues and how they relate to a contemporary society. HSC is more interesting though :D

Shazer2

HSC
Yeah I've heard it's basically everything you learn in prelim. applied to the Australian economy. :)

Bucknuckle

HSC
Hope its not too hard. It should be better if there is not as much of the conceptual stuff.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Though I dropped eco (purely units based and with my results I should have kept it), the HSC course seemed to be far more interesting because it appeared more real world, also all those dry basics from prelim help you with the HSC course so the "groundwork" is there so to speak.

bosaddict

Banned
HSC
N/A
Being a total fan boy of economics.

The HSC is much better. It is in a sense "easier", but that is because you have done preliminary economics. And no, you don't do 12 page essays. You will end up with maybe 3-4 solid pages of writing per essay.

P.S it is a great subject

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)