Preliminary Biology Practical (1 Viewer)

TurkStyle

HSC
Hi Guys i Need help with my Pratical Assesment please tell me what to do for each section or any one u can be bothered (especially the ones in red) to tell me about. Please tell me how to set out a Practical like start with aim and so on.

Related Syllabus Outcomes:

Organisms are mmade of cells that have similar structural charecteristics

Membranes provide seperation from and links with the external enviroment

Task Outline:
1)Plan, choose equipment and resources and perform a first-hand investigation to identify the following substances: glucose, starch, lipids, proteins, chloride ions and lignin.
2)Process information from secondary sources to identify mitochondria, chloroplasts, golgi bodies, lysomes, endoplpasmic reticulum, ribosomes, nucleus, nucleolus, and cell membranes.
3)Describe the current model of the cell membrane and explain how it accounts for the movement of substances in and out of the cells.
4)Perform a first hand investigation to model the selectively permeable nature of a cell membrane.
5)Compare the processws of diffusion and osmosis

thankyou.

bored of sc

HSC
Usually an experiment is set out in the following manner:

Aim: what you wish to achieve.

Hypothesis: an educated guesstimate as to what will happen in the experiment. This part might be able to include your research notes from secondary sources (maybe).

Appartus: materials used (we do not include the chemicals in chemistry).

Method: How you carried out your experiment.

Results: the method's results.

Discussion: Depends on the marking criteria and nature of the task as to what you write in the discussion but usually you collect/analyse the results, discuss issues of reliability in with the procedure and suggest possible improvements to the experiment to make it more accurate (exactness, conformity to the truth, systematic (measurement) error, random errors (human error etc)), reliable (trustworthy, dependable) and valid (reliable, supported by actual fact).

Conclusion: Answers the aim and refers to the hypothesis. Remember nothing is ever proven through experimental prodecures - it just suggests certain things.

There could be other things too.

Do you have a marking criteria?? If so, refer to that. It should give you a basic idea of what you need in the write in order to achieve full marks.

P.S Presentation is usually an important element in the marking criteria. Make sure you use scientific terms correctly, use the correct format/order, use clear and concise language, use language succinctly (straight to point). Waffle is science's cardinal sin. Its a waste of time cause it gets you no marks.

As for what you actually asked - i don't do biology but I reckon your textbook, internet and some books should have the appropriate information you need to gather.

Good luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)