Preparing yourself for a Job interview. (1 Viewer)

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
This is a thread where those who are looking for job, just got a job interview and want help when it comes to what to dress, what questions would be asked and etc.

Kinda like Rules for Customers/Staff spinoff.

Tips:

- Dress nicely, (suit, dress, nice shoes etc) unless it's a labour type job.

- Don't chew gum!

- Smile and shake the Interviewer's hand. (Throw in some compliments, not silly ones like 'Are you single? or asking what nationality he/she is.)

- Don't mumble while answering questions.

- Don't 'umm' or give long pauses.

- Do a research of the company you're applying for before going for the interview, you won't want to give a blank face to them when they ask you what you know about their company.

- Make sure you do arrive early give yourself enough time for parking, going through security or public transportation.

- You are selling yourself and keep in mind their are other candidates do not hesitate to ask how do you feel about the others compared to yourself.

- Always eye contact, do not make your eyes look elsewhere, then they'll think you're becoming bored and not interested.

- Don't contradict yourself, even when it comes to your previous job reference, shoot people sometimes forget the dates they worked from their last job and the interviewer would probably think you're lying, which is most cases not, it's just you're stuck in that moment and is lost with words (it happens).

- When they ask your availability do not say you have to take days off because you need quality time with your boyfriend/girlfriend or you can't work on Friday nights because you have to go out with friends, then they'll think you're unreliable and won't hire you. Say you're available!!

- Be confident, nod your head when they're talking, don't stare anything.

- Follow up by a phone call, email or letter, if they haven't called you the day they suppose to give you a reply. Sometimes people do get lazy and won't give call backs to those who apply for jobs.

- If you have lied about your experience or whatever you wrote in your resume, please don't say 'oh it was a typo on my resume' and etc. They would straight away think you're lying and won't give you a job, try to make a story out of it even backing up your 'lies', even if you're stuck with words or so on.

Questions they'll likely to ask you in interviews:

- What previous experience you have and would you bring to the company.

- What is your weakness/do you have any.

- They'll definitely ask you why you left your last job, and will press through you to get a straight answer, note: do not say you got fired or your boss hates you. Don't worry if it's your first job, then they'll ask you why should they hire you and etc.

- Group interviews is kinda different, it's more of problem solving and giving you questions to answer. Be confident and outspoken, don't sit there and be quiet, talk a lot but not too much.

I'm sure there's more, but I cbf typing it all up, hopefully everyone gets my point, so anyone else, drop your experience, tips, questions and etc.

m&ss2008

HSC
wuddie said:
if you can whip your dong out you're almost guaranteed the job, and your pay will be in proportion to, well, you know.
i really need a pay rise then lol lol

michael1990

HSC
chicky_pie said:
Have sex with the boss maybe, just maybe... a 10% increase in pay. :)
If not an increase in pay, maybe blackmail material?

michael1990

HSC
Always shine your shoes. DON'T FORGET THE BACK!

Present well :)

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
what do people actually say to this?

No clue? Maybe because to give a hint whether you're capable of doing what they give you or why you left your last job. I'm sure some of us have some sort of weakness like *cough* lateness. :rofl:

BackCountrySnow

HSC
chicky_pie said:
No clue? Maybe because to give a hint whether you're capable of doing what they give you or why you left your last job. I'm sure some of us have some sort of weakness like *cough* lateness. :rofl:
haha how about - my weakness is that i tend to bury myself in in my work and I have to make sure I perform to the best of my ability.

horrible weakness...

undalay

HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
haha how about - my weakness is that i tend to bury myself in in my work and I have to make sure I perform to the best of my ability.

horrible weakness...
i think that response is actually a bit cookie cutter, nothig different.

williamc's response is much more unique.

And really, isn't unique what employers are looking for ?

ippie

HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
what do people actually say to this?
What, you don't know what your weaknesses are?!

I said I was picky, and I gave an example of my pickyness but then I started rambling on about how being picky is alright too.

Lol i was practically doing a self evaluation. I think the interviewer was just nodding along, and then I noticed and I shut up.

hey, wth, i got hired. This was for new zealand natural, btw lol

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
The do’s and don’ts of choosing referees

When applying for a new position, strategically choosing the right referees requires as much thought as polishing your CV and preparing for that all-important job interview.

What’s more, in today’s competitive market, the outcome of a reference check can make or break your chances of securing your dream job.

So how can you maximise your chances of referee success? Amy Klingel, Division Director of Office Team, gives you the inside track on choosing your next referee:

Don’t: choose your buddies

According to Klingel, it’s always best to choose someone who can discuss your skills and experience in relation to the position you’re applying for. “Choosing a suitable referee is more than just getting someone to say something nice about you,” she says.

Do: provide a backgrounder
Brief your referee on the position you are applying for, including the qualities and characteristics you feel are essential for the role. It’s also a good idea to forward an updated copy of your CV to remind your referee of your accomplishments that may be of interest to a potential employer.

Don’t: choose a stranger
Ensure your referee is someone you have spoken to recently and with whom you have maintained a good relationship. Including references from your most recent employment can help highlight contemporary experiences in a concise manner.

Do: choose people you’ve worked closely with
A referee will need to demonstrate your strengths and experiences by providing examples of how you have applied your skills within the workplace. Will your referee be able to articulate this?

Don’t: forget to give a heads up

Let your referees know in advance that they may be contacted to allow them ample time to prepare. Apart from being the polite approach, this is also a great way to make sure contact details are correct and to discuss the role you’re applying for. Don’t presume a referee will effortlessly be able provide a captivating reference, especially if they’re caught unprepared.

Do: show your appreciation

Write a thank you note to each of your referees, letting them know the outcome of your job search. This can not only help expand your network, but can increase your job referrals, too.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
DarrylKerrigan said:
Nice tips chicky_pie. Still...easier said than done. There are loads of variables on the day. Like you may get an obscure question that makes you look silly. Or if in a group interview...there are other pushy people who hog up all the attention and no one else can get a word in.

Yeah sometimes they actually don't get the job, some do. Really depends on what type of company, i.e Big W, Myer, Woolworths etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)