Prescribed Text - Should I Read It? (1 Viewer)

Khan.Paki

HSC
For my Romanticism course, as part of our prescribed texts we have Mary Shelly's Frankenstein. I was just wondering, because i am seriously behind on all other work (yes my fault :frown2: ) must i read Frankenstein? My teacher gave us LOADS of notes about the book which summarise themes and character analysis. Do you think I can just live on these notes? These notes have been compiled from the internet.

Any help plz

tigerian

HSC
N/A
What will you do if they ask you how a quote from the text and give an excerpt again like they have before? And ask how the excerpt explains the overall tone and impact on the rest of the novel . it has happened twice in Extension English

Hannelore

HSC
There is a chance that you could get away with it, but there is also a chance that it will make the exam very difficult for you. If you can manage to find the time I strongly suggest actually reading the text.

My personal experience is that reading the text gives you better understanding than simply reading summaries and analyses.

During my HSC year, I couldn't help noticing that many people in my class who received lower grades had never actually read the texts. I'm sure there were other contributing factors to this but not actually knowing the text as well as they could wouldn't have helped!

During my university experiences I have found that whenever I do not do the readings properly (whether they be novels, poems, or journal articles) I struggle immensely and usually end up with a low pass.

Just my personal experience :) Certainly some people can probably get away with it better. But I really recommend reading it.

(I'm also a bit biased because I really enjoyed reading it ;) So you may want to consider it as leisure if you're inclined towards this particular genre. But even if you aren't if you could find the time to read it properly I think you would really benefit)

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
yes for prescribed text
you can get an Ebook somewhere if you ask someone nicely
but probably not now because someone likes their sleep

stupid autocorrect eBook to Ebola.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)