Pressure from parents (2 Viewers)

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
Does anybody receive pressure from parents to do well in their studies? :(
I mean, we are only in Year 10. :(

Last time, I was stressing out on English Major Work and I told my mum that I didn't like English and that I think I'm failing. Just at the same moment, my math results came back. Average was 50/80 and I got 72/80. My mum got very mad at me as she heard somebody got full marks and it wasn't me. She yelled at me a lot. :pain:While she was driving me to school, I cried in music class and that was in front of the teacher I hate the most. :mad: I hate parents pressure!!!!!!!!!! especially when they compare me to my younger brother. When he doesn't do homework, they blame me that I don't teach him. OMG! when will stuff like this ever end!!!

Does this happen to anybody else as well?

Share your stories :D

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
nerdsforever said:

Last time, I was stressing out on English Major Work and I told my mum that I didn't like English and that I think I'm failing. Just at the same moment, my math results came back. Average was 50/80 and I got 72/80. My mum got very mad at me as she heard somebody got full marks and it wasn't me. She yelled at me a lot. :pain:While she was driving me to school, I cried in music class and that was in front of the teacher I hate the most. :mad: I hate parents pressure!!!!!!!!!! especially when they compare me to my younger brother. When he doesn't do homework, they blame me that I don't teach him. OMG! when will stuff like this ever end!!!

Despite the fact that I came to Australia 3 years ago, I am currently enrolled in Advanced English and got Band 6 in my English SC but my mum still looks down on me. No matter how well I perform she underestimates and I do not appreciate that.

I once came 2nd in my accelerated subject where I basically compete with older cohort. Despite that, my mum was complaining why I did not come first, WTH! I am constantly under pressure to do better than I am doing now.

As Undalay commented, I would be happy to dismiss my parents, especially my mom that way, but I wouldn't and can't do it as a son they still love.

My mum was always saying how stupid I am and how I will get UAI less than 80 or 70. For that stupid comment I actually stood up against her, saying "I am like 2nd top in my year and 4 people at my school usually get UAI over 99 in every HSC, what are you on about?" (in a more rude way, of course).

Last edited:

Gay Captain

HSC
Just say "we're in Australia now" and go on a round of heavy binge drinking to prove it :D

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
You mean 'Pressure from Asian Parents' :). I never get pressure. I just do it myself and they assist me :).

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
You really should reference me, when taking my thread name.
But it is better you having your own, then coming into the 08 forum.

Just remembers 10's (is that right) that although SC is important, don't get to stressed

Kirsty Xx

That's the price we pay
HSC
risole91 said:
You really should reference me, when taking my thread name.
But it is better you having your own, then coming into the 08 forum.

Just remembers 10's (is that right) that although SC is important, don't get to stressed
+1

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
nerdsforever said:

Homework is a waste of time. I don't know why your parents care.

90% in math is okay if you weren't really trying... but if you tried, and somebody got 100% then you should really be getting marks closer to that.

When my mum yells at me, (which is almost always), I simple respond as if I'm bored, and uninterested. Then she screams untill shes tired and doesn't annoy me about it anymore. :D I'm not sure if it will work with your parent. Some parents get angry if they think you don't care.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Year 10 should be a time when you enjoy yourselves. Pay attention in class, finish your homework, study for your assessments - but go out whenever you can. It'll probably be the last time you actually enjoy stuff.

undalay

HSC
some of my friends parents make me so angry.

I wanna tell them off ahaha.

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
Nah my parents dont care not yet anyways. They know I do well in my exams and assessment tasks so they are pretty content with my marks.

However next year? Im not so sure lol

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
undalay said:
some of my friends parents make me so angry.

I wanna tell them off ahaha.
lol parents are so annoying!!!

Nah my parents dont care not yet anyways. They know I do well in my exams and assessment tasks so they are pretty content with my marks.

However next year? Im not so sure lol
wow. you're so lucky :p

Homework is a waste of time. I don't know why your parents care.

90% in math is okay if you weren't really trying... but if you tried, and somebody got 100% then you should really be getting marks closer to that.

When my mum yells at me, (which is almost always), I simple respond as if I'm bored, and uninterested. Then she screams untill shes tired and doesn't annoy me about it anymore. :D I'm not sure if it will work with your parent. Some parents get angry if they think you don't care.
Asian parents care a lot about work. They think its the end of the world if they know you are falling behind in class or just get below average. I felt that my 90% was okay!!!! :angry: it wasn't even below average!!! well, i didn't try my best. I forgot trigonometry SOH CAH TOA stuff half way through. Maybe my parents are angry because they think I don't care :cool:

haha. maybe I should try. but whenever my mum screams I just start arguing back. I can't help myself :p

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
Aerath said:
Year 10 should be a time when you enjoy yourselves. Pay attention in class, finish your homework, study for your assessments - but go out whenever you can. It'll probably be the last time you actually enjoy stuff.
yeh. that's true. Year 10 will probably be the last time I ever get to enjoy my life! after that, it'll be study, study, study and after that, I'll be at work and I'll grow older and older and retire.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
Aerath said:
Thats what y11 is for.

still no reference....

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
Without Wings said:
Some people do that all throughout their high school life, i.e year 10, 11 and 12 (not to mention after that)
It's all about having balance in your life :)
This is true.

At the end of the day, parental pressure varies as you also said ( and deleted that part ).

Just do your best, and thats all you can do.!!

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Without Wings said:
Some people do that all throughout their high school life, i.e year 10, 11 and 12 (not to mention after that)
It's all about having balance in your life :)
I meant throughout High School. :p
But I know there are people that still manage to go out in Year 12. It's just what I think works for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)