Previous Video Students - Bit of help and some opinions... (1 Viewer)

taxman

make poverty
HSC
Hey all, I'm considering making a video for EE2, but I'm not really sure if I should or not. I've got a great idea for a movie that I was going to write after I finish the HSC anyway, and I thought if I condensed it a bit and turned it into my EE2 major work than I can be at peace.

What equipment did you guys use? I'm thinking of going and buying a digital video cam so I can make the film, but I need to know what sort of stuff you guys were using. Also, my computers pretty shit, so I don't think I can use it for editing and stuff. How much all up do you think a digital video cam and a iMac will cost? I figured the Apple is the best tool for video editing and stuff.

Also, who did you get to act in your film? I was just thinking of calling in some of my friends and stuff...and a friend's friend who was recently in a low-budget film. Please get back to me as soon as possible, as making a video is something I'd much rather do than a short story or script.

P.S. Can you use a digi-cam to make a VHS?

veridis

droog
HSC
well i'm not a previous student but i'll try answer from what i've learnt so far
most people i've talked to have just used a DV camera and a tripod, nothing too special. been advised against moving shots because of limitation of this equipment.
a DV camera will cost you 6-700 for basic one. as long as you dont have any wierd lighting scenes this should be fine. eMac is 1.6k for the one with better hard drive and DVD buner. if you have about 1GHz and 256RAM you can get by for video editing. you wont have more than about 1/2 an hour of footage being edited at a time given how short our films are. a video card would be preferable though. Macs big advantage with video editing is that iMovie comes free. but Windows Movie Maker is almost as good with the recent updates and plugins so thats pretty much balanced now. PCs also have more software available, most of it obtainable through less than legal avenues
as for actors with an 8 minute film you wont have more than 5 or 6 speaking characters max so try and find mates with some experience(I have a sister who did state drama ensemble so will be using her friends from that)
when doin video you have to hand in your script anyway, but it is a much shorter script
most camera come with cables to transfer to VHS, but you can hand in on DVD too

taxman

make poverty
HSC
Hey, thanks a lot for that, looks like I've got pretty much no questions left. Anyone willing to tell me about how they went with their own video though is way more than welcome to as I really wanna know. (I'm sure I could of said that sentence in a simpler way, but that will have to do :p)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)