• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Private or public? (1 Viewer)

Niksta123

HSC
Whats everyones views on private and public schools??
I went to a public schhool for K-6 and then a private school from yr 7-present..i find that the private school is so much better, they are a lot more disaplined and my school has smaller classes which i think is really beneficial for learning...i know lots of ppl think that if you go a private school you are snobby! in most cases thats wrong! i would hate to be thought of as snobby...but yeah wat does every one think??? and wat do you reckon are the disadv and the adv??

IceOnFire

HSC
Well a lot of people believe private schools are distracting since there is a lot of competition of how rich I am, how much materialistic goods I have got, etc. Even though private shools have got better facilities.

I go to a public school btw.. :)

ane_st

HSC
Niksta123 said:
my school has smaller classes which i think is really beneficial for learning...
I go to a public school and my classes are fucking small - thats what happens in yr 11 and 12

Niksta123

HSC
i would have to say that my private school for how much we pay per year doesnt have the best facilities at all! its really bad actually....

BlackDragon

HSC
yeah and even if a private school did have good facilities it doesn't mean it will be better. people can get great results whether public or private. its whatever floats your boat really. if you feel that this particular school is worth paying for then go for it. generally though, private schools have a better attitute towards academics due to the fact the people that go their have to pay. i mean, alot of the people that go to private schools (myself included) can barely barely afford it.

Niksta123

HSC
yeah i totally agree..i guess it also depends on subjects offered, sports offered and anything else that interests you to whether you choose public or private and then wat school you go to!

cupcake08

HSC
Niksta123 said:
i would have to say that my private school for how much we pay per year doesnt have the best facilities at all! its really bad actually....
what school do you go to???

public all the way :p a lot of people think that privos are all snobs but i guess that may not be entirely true....

vorahk

HSC
but yeah a lot of people think private school students are up themselves, cocky, bitchy, bla bla bla because they are rich and pay a shit loads to go to school (of course it looks nicer and all). please tell me if this is true ^^.

look at the top 10-20 schools in HSC results...they are mostly public.

selective schools alll the way XD

skinnier

HSC
speaking from the point of view of a person who has been at a private and a public school it really doesnt make a difference in terms of education. as long as the student is motivated they can get top marks

Niksta123

HSC
vorahk said:
but yeah a lot of people think private school students are up themselves, cocky, bitchy, bla bla bla because they are rich and pay a shit loads to go to school (of course it looks nicer and all). please tell me if this is true ^^.

look at the top 10-20 schools in HSC results...they are mostly public.

selective schools alll the way XD
I would like to think that i werent wat u described above...i go to pittwater house, and i can tell you the facilities arent tops...and yeah we do pay heaps...but i mean most of us who go there are either on scholarships or our parents are just getting the money for the fees...yeah there are some really rich families and those ppl are def snobs and you can tell by when you're speaking to them...just how they are like well this costs $200 and blah blah blah and i go on holidays all the time etc etc and your just like thats nice, i dont really care.. but yeah its much of a muchness...

i went to public for primary and now im at a private for high school and i guess they are totally different..also bcuz of the different years....high school is diff to primary...so its sorta hard to say...

vorahk

HSC
oh ok, so i guess private schools just have different "typical" groups.. right?

what im interested is how the teachers compare lol. im also guessing there are less "dropouts" in private schools then in public.

sure you can get good marks in private, i was just comparing both private and public schools' reputations and raw results... in a more generic scope.

Niksta123 said:
i would hate to be thought of as snobby..
oh Niksta, from the sounds of it you dont sound or seem snobby at all, dont worry about that ^^.

Niksta123

HSC
even though private schools may have more selection in teachers and wat ever, we still get some pretty ordinary teachers! my school is desperate for teachers and sometimes we get teachers who havnt even finished their degree...

but yeah i dunno about other private schools, but my school has probably 80% of the staff being top teachers...we just have a few nut cases in our school, lol but who doesnt!

vorahk

HSC
woah, never expected that...

are the teachers really strict? or are they jsut like any other schools? this thread is really interesting ^^, mad thread nista!

Niksta123

HSC
meaning like i had a maths teacher at the beginning of the year and was teaching our 2 unit advanced year 11...and he was still at macquarie finishing his teaching degree! he had a degree in mining engineering but hadnt finished his teaching one! i had the worst term of maths!! thankfully he left!

actually most of the teachers are really really nice and will help you if you need help etc..my principal is really awesome, down to earth etc...as are many other principals!

Niksta123

HSC
vorahk said:
are the teachers really strict? or are they jsut like any other schools?
the teachers at my school aren't too strict, but when its called for they can lay on the penalties..but really its not much different to other schools i guess..we have the same sort detention system to any other school and we have this system called the credit and debit system...credits are good, debits - bad...5 debits = a detention...

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
Niksta123 said:
my principal is really awesome, down to earth etc...as are many other principals!
Well you're lucky 'cause we have a principal that's downright, a tool. :p

Pittwater House, aye? I've always seen people with the uniform walking around and those Pittwater House shuttle buses but i've never actually seen the school. I've always thought that the facillaties are meant to be good.

To SoulSearcher, good luck with your exam. :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)