prob dumb q about rising cutoffs (1 Viewer)

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
ok, its common knowledge that the cutoffs will rise, and will prob continue to rise each year....so whats going to happen when they cant rise any further?

Aj10001

Yeah..that would be great
HSC
Well according to years of conducting mathematical experiments in my basement with super genius lepricons and pentium 6000 computers i have come to the conclusion that when cut-offs can not go any higher...they will stagnate or fall.

The title of your thread is the most intelligent thing you have ever said.

Congratulations

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
haha :rolleyes:

nah, i just mean if people reckon that the cutoffs are gunna keep going up, shouldnt they eventually gunna hit the 100 mark and then not going to be able to go any higher...so does that mean in a few years everyone in uni will be geniuses or these people predicting continual rises in the cutoffs are wrong?

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by kentwell
Do the math
me? math?
my mum was all excited when i got my hsc results coz i got 80 in maths, and then i had to remind her that i do general.
me and numbers just dont see eye to eye.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Most course will approach a certain cut-off in the new future, once the number of spaces are cut, and demand settles for most courses.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Originally posted by hipsta_jess

nah, i just mean if people reckon that the cutoffs are gunna keep going up, shouldnt they eventually gunna hit the 100 mark and then not going to be able to go any higher...so does that mean in a few years everyone in uni will be geniuses or these people predicting continual rises in the cutoffs are wrong?
How can all cutoffs 'eventually rise to 100'? Cutoffs are based on the lowest mark that was accepted for that course (when they ran out of places to fill). If only 22 people get 100 each year (and that is the same amount every year give or take a couple), how can course cutoffs possibly rise to 100? For that to happen, there could only be 22 university places in all of NSW. Think about what you're saying. They will keep rising, but the government isn't going to cut funding enough that only 22 ppl can go to uni every year....

Aj10001

Yeah..that would be great
HSC
haha :rolleyes:

Oh geeez.

Yes you are exactly correct. In the other research project i conducted we calculated that in a few years only the 20 or so students who get 100 uai each year will be able to attend university. This will create a huge increase in demand for TAFE courses meaning that entry into TAFE will require at least a UAI of 97. The remaining 95% of the state will be forced to move up to queensland and grow sugar cane resulting in a huge drop in the market price for sugar cane. Eventually everyone in Australia will be so uneducated except for those few who scraped into TAFE and uni that the vast majority of our population will end up eating sugar cane while watching the cricket all day.

Thanks to your brilliant observation, we may be able to rectify this crisis before all Australians encounter dietary problems from eating solely sugar cane.

You Have saved us All "hipsta-jess", Australia thanks you in advance

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Just like how Arts will never reach a UAI cutoff of 100...
NOTHING WILL EVER REACH A CUTOFF OF 100!
There is NO university course with just 22 places (most have at least 80, and up to 250), and even if there were, everyone who got a 100 UAI would have to choose the exact same course at the exact same uni!

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Panem et circenses...
arr, what?

oh, and to all you other people, get the poles out you're butts, i was just asking an innocent question, stop having a go at me coz im not a mathematical genius

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Originally posted by Aj10001
This will create a huge increase in demand for TAFE courses meaning that entry into TAFE will require at least a UAI of 97.

Oh and don't get me started on you. Nice attempt at a sarcastic argument, shame Tafe don't look at UAI. Its a University Admissions Index. If it was for Tafe they'd call it the TAI :rolleyes:

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC

oh, and to all you other people, get the poles out you're butts, i was just asking an innocent question, stop having a go at me coz im not a mathematical genius

I didn't even do maths, I don't think its a hard concept to grasp.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
In 2002 there was a course at Macquarie, BBA (International) that had a cutoff of 99.95 - because there were less than 10 places in that course since it offered an all expenses paid exchange program overseas during the degree

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Minai
In 2002 there was a course at Macquarie, BBA (International) that had a cutoff of 99.95 - because there were less than 10 places in that course since it offered an all expenses paid exchange program overseas during the degree
omg, how awesome would that be!

santaslayer

HSC
all courses experience a series of ups and downs (popularity wise) so marks will neva go to 100.....unless ur talking about law, med.

Dash

ReSpEcTeD
HSC
Yeh, I remember a couple of years ago that IT required a pretty good UAI...
Now its dropped quite significantly...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)