Problem (1 Viewer)

kkk579

hello
HSC
How do I improve my marks in physics and chemistry tasks where its based mainly/all on skills? My school is extremely picky with the marking and im always losing marks to this. For example, in my physics task one I didnt write one specific word and lost a mark, how can this even be justified? This has also severely impacted my ranking. My school also tends to just test skills - like theres barely any content being tested which is weird because when I look at the schools on THSC the tests are only based on content, how can this be fair? For example, chemistry task 1: half content, half skills, and task 2: all skills. Physics task 1 and task 2: all skills. Not to mention theyll also be putting skills into the prelims. Theres more skills than content being examined, is this even allowed? Also for chemistry we are having 3 exams, I thought it was compulsory to have at least one assignment/take home.

But yeah, im fustrated because ik that the ranks arent reflective of how good people are in actual chemistry and physics, because my school barely tests it. I do well in tutor but thats because tutoring tests content, not this skills bullshit. But whats the point of me paying for tutor, doing past papers and learning 8 modules of content over two years if all theyre gonna test is skills? The hsc barely even has skills. Im worried that if my school keeps this up, which they probably will, my ranks will be done for and my chem and phys marks are ruined because of a school that doesnt test content.

carrotsss

HSC
they are required to have 50% of internal assessment be testing working scientifically skills I’m pretty sure

kkk579

hello
HSC
they are required to have 50% of internal assessment be testing working scientifically skills I’m pretty sure
This school is doing way more than 50 its more like 90 skills and 10 content. Also when looking at selectivr schools on thsc theres like barely any skills in both their half yearlies and yearlies

kkk579

hello
HSC
How do i improve in skills? Im assuming u were good at it so like how did you get full marks for every q hitting every dotpoint they want cos schools r so strict on it

spiderfan44

HSC
dawg what
in all seriousness go the syllabus for both subjects and look for the heading 'chemistry year 11 course content' and then under that should be a subheading called 'working scientifically skills', look through that to figure out what skills you need, same for physics

spiderfan44

HSC
i dont take chem or physics so idk how true these are but these are some resources i found

just google chemistry or phsyics hsc skills

kkk579

hello
HSC
i dont take chem or physics so idk how true these are but these are some resources i found

just google chemistry or phsyics hsc skills
Yeah i know what to write in exams but the problem is that the pickiness is what causes me to lose games. Atp its a game of luckiness - if u get lucky and coincidentally write down a specific word theyre looking for then u get rhe mark. It doesnt help that tuition centres dont go over skills, and school also barely touches is even though its all they put in exams.

spiderfan44

HSC
Yeah i know what to write in exams but the problem is that the pickiness is what causes me to lose games. Atp its a game of luckiness - if u get lucky and coincidentally write down a specific word theyre looking for then u get rhe mark. It doesnt help that tuition centres dont go over skills, and school also barely touches is even though its all they put in exams.
are you reading the questions properly? sometimes you do need one specific word because you need to describe a concept. sometimes teachers are harsh w marking, but it doesnt matter bcuz you still rank the same. if youre dropping in rank because of the harshness it means you need to study skills more.

also skills are an extremely important thing and id argue they are more important measures at your skills in physics and chemistry since its not just remembering stuff, its applying yourself. your classmates are probably studying skills, or its common sense to them. you just gotta start studying skills man

idkkdi

HSC
How do I improve my marks in physics and chemistry tasks where its based mainly/all on skills? My school is extremely picky with the marking and im always losing marks to this. For example, in my physics task one I didnt write one specific word and lost a mark, how can this even be justified? This has also severely impacted my ranking. My school also tends to just test skills - like theres barely any content being tested which is weird because when I look at the schools on THSC the tests are only based on content, how can this be fair? For example, chemistry task 1: half content, half skills, and task 2: all skills. Physics task 1 and task 2: all skills. Not to mention theyll also be putting skills into the prelims. Theres more skills than content being examined, is this even allowed? Also for chemistry we are having 3 exams, I thought it was compulsory to have at least one assignment/take home.

But yeah, im fustrated because ik that the ranks arent reflective of how good people are in actual chemistry and physics, because my school barely tests it. I do well in tutor but thats because tutoring tests content, not this skills bullshit. But whats the point of me paying for tutor, doing past papers and learning 8 modules of content over two years if all theyre gonna test is skills? The hsc barely even has skills. Im worried that if my school keeps this up, which they probably will, my ranks will be done for and my chem and phys marks are ruined because of a school that doesnt test content.
ye its bullshit. many schools have ill advised internals

Average Boreduser

Rising Renewal
HSC
are you reading the questions properly? sometimes you do need one specific word because you need to describe a concept. sometimes teachers are harsh w marking, but it doesnt matter bcuz you still rank the same. if youre dropping in rank because of the harshness it means you need to study skills more.

also skills are an extremely important thing and id argue they are more important measures at your skills in physics and chemistry since its not just remembering stuff, its applying yourself. your classmates are probably studying skills, or its common sense to them. you just gotta start studying skills man
The hsc isn't 90% skills, so it'd be unfair regardless as these students have less experience in tackling questions or exams with more of a content focus.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)