• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Project Topic: women in ancient civilisations (1 Viewer)

dotcomgirl

HSC
I'd just like some opinions about what people thingk about doing the topic:
"Depiction of women in Spartan and Celtic societies, in relation to their status and roles"

Maybe tie it into concept of "herstory"?

I think it maybe too big of a topic...so I'll probably have to narrow it down, but I'm just a bit confused about this all!! It's just that a lot of people on BoS seem to be looking into Personalities.

The fact that my proposal is due tomorrow isn't helping...but I've got some research and the basic question to work off, hopefully everything will turn out okay...*crosses fingers*

Last edited:
X

xeuyrawp

Why not compare women in Celtic vs Spartan societies?

I can give you a few pointers as to comparitive histories, if you'd like. :)

dotcomgirl

HSC
Thanks for the suggestion, it seems interesting. However, I'm not too sure how I'll do a comparative history and incorporate historiography.

Help?

X

xeuyrawp

dotcomgirl said:
Thanks for the suggestion, it seems interesting. However, I'm not too sure how I'll do a comparative history and incorporate historiography.

Help?
The very nature of comparison is historiographical. Because, for example, you may not be able to compare one theme because that's simply not recorded or not an issue.

Eg, compare Hatshepsut and Boudicca - two strong, controversial women. By trying to compare them, you gain a greater understanding on how ancient Egyptian and ancient British history are different. How could you compare two vastly different women? What would be similar and what would be incomparible? Why?

I'm currently writing a paper on a certain type of text that exists in Akkadian, Egyptian, and Japanese writings - the exercise is linguistic as well as historiographical. Very rewarding.

If something doesn't jump out at you, though, then you shouldn't do it, basically. You need to be passionate about your topic from day one. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)