• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Proposal...opinions? (1 Viewer)

hmaster

HSC
I believe that this will be the first of it's kind...especially in the form it's presented. I only thought of this idea the other day while interviewing a guy who works at Powerhouse, who's an academic in this field.

This'll be my third idea switch, and I'm happy for once that the idea i have isn't something I just thought up of one night and ran with. So..comments?

------------------
Following an interview with Michael Jones and a two hour long discussion on, “What Hip Hop is” (originally section 3 of second draft revision) it was quickly realized that two minutes alone can not serve to answer that question satisfactorily. (Refer to Proposal 1.)
It was then decided upon to focus the major work on the topic of “Hip Hop” itself.

The new major work will present the “uninitiated” with an 8 minute lyrical performance poetry that focuses on three aspects:

• Where/What Hip Hop was – An inspection of its roots, culture and how it came into existence. Includes an examination of Jazz, African chants, popular artists of the time (James Brown, Rick James) and the relationship between cultures and music (contemporary music history). The politics surrounding Hip Hop, especially in the 1960s. The presentation of American Hip Hop (not to be confused with “rap”) as the musical form of the “underclass” of the time period, similar to the emergence of punk rock, both American and British, in response to the political occurrences respective of their timeframes. Identifies people/groups who were responsible for establishing hip hop (Public Enemy, Afrika Bambaataa and the Zulu Nation, DJ Kool Herc, TAKI 187, etc etc.)
• Where/What Hip Hop is – A commentary at hip hop today, from ‘mainstream’ to offshoot styles. The moneymaking behind ‘commercial acts’ and the musical sense and ethics behind ‘underground artists.’ Comments on the expansion of hip hop from the early sixties Jamaican ‘toasting’ to the ‘freestyle’ and ‘developed’ hip hop, and thus further branching out and influences on other styles of music (European and Asian hip hop.) Considers the multitude of the various styles, and artists writing and presenting themselves in those styles. Emphasizes the view that the majority of “hip hoppers” impose their idea of what hip hop should be like, instead of viewing what hip hop is neutrally, both the positive and negative aspects.
• Where/What Hip Hop will/could be – A personal view.

While the final major work will be in the form of performance poetry, the critical nature of this undertaking will involve an essay to prepare and organize all accumulated research into a cohesive passage which the performance poetry will then reflect.

It is important to note that this is NOT an “exercise in rap masquerading as an intellectual pursuit.” This is an exploration of the form and culture, and by presenting my findings via in the same medium, it will highlight and reinforce the aforementioned findings.

---------------------

I guess what i'm trying to ask also is...academically...the ultimate would be a critical essay, but perhaps the performance poetry would go further in getting across my point?
comments?

Last edited:

tez0r

Rawr?
HSC
performance poetry is really difficult to score high marks, i reckon stick with the crit response

HSC
N/A
I disagree.

One of my poetry friends (who incidentally, is pretty damn good) made a note to me the other day that more people SHOULD be doing performance poetry. I don't know much about it, but if it's the type of poetry that's read aloud, I love it - ALL poetry should be read aloud. And in the grand scheme of things, does anyone give a damn about doing what ensures high marks? In my personal opinion, this is a huge sacrifice of creative integrity. Naturally you risk getting "lower" marks, but at the end of the day it's really up to you.

On a completely unrelated note I am SO happy to hear that someone is studying the hiphop culture. As a bit of a die-hard dance fanatic, I have studied the hiphop dance form and have several friends in the US who are hiphop culture buffs. I like what you say about commercial hiphoppers talking about what they want hiphop to be rather than what it is - you hear all these "peeps" going on and on about the bling and the girls and the good life, and that's just not real. Going on a tangent again, this would make an EXCELLENT sociology essay topic. Creative Arts as well, should you choose to take it up in university.

Going back to the world of EE2 though - I've written dance articles before that are a bit like yours and in my opinion you can get a lot more information/education across via the essay form. If it's already leaning that way at this stage, then I wouldn't fight it too much. As I'm not well-versed in poetry I'm not quite sure what you mean by "performance poetry would go further in getting across my point" unless you mean aiming for emotional impact, which I would understand (particularly if you're trying to fight against MTV-inspired beliefs). If you're still not too sure I suggest running with both forms for a while ) it's holidays, you've got plenty of time) and seeing how that goes. :)

Best wishes!

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
I get the feeling you want to 'burn the candle at both ends' so to speak and I am concerned that you might end up diluting your message by creating such a hybridised composition. I think if you can keep your message tightly focused then you'll be fine, however I imagine that will become very difficult to do later on.

So my natural inclination would be to say that you should either make it into a critical response on your subject or make your performance poetry demonstrative rather than didactic. However 'if you can't be good, be smart' - if this conventional approach doesn't suit you, then make sure flout the conventions with flair and be prepared for the fact that it might make your work more subjective in the marker's eyes than it already would have been.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)