• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

pSychology! is it hard? (1 Viewer)

Meatismurder

HSC
who here has done the subject?

is it hard?

would u recommend it?

im 2nd yr and contemplating something new and challenging..

is it really sciencey and maths based? lol i am an arts student not a science student! cheers guyz!

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
my friend said the first yr pyschology subject (the first semester one) is very much like biology, all about the brain.

alissa_xoxo

Share the Love.
HSC
is it really sciencey and maths based? lol i am an arts student not a science student!
Bumping the thread, because i want to know this :rolleyes:

Please, somebody!

fornstar

QUEENSLANDER!!!!
HSC
i do psych as part of my degree, and yes it involves science and maths. you have to do statistics and at MQ you need to do a stat unit every year (im certain it would be the same at other uni's). and science is involved. we looked at sound waves and shit, stuff ppl told me they learnt in physics, heaps of biology type of stuff (looking at how ur head works etc), but nothing i can really relate to chemistry.

personally i hated science in highschool and i didnt pick it 4 yrs 11 and 12. but psych does incorporate it but im going ok. it just gets a lil confusing sometimes

alissa_xoxo

Share the Love.
HSC
Ahh.. I was hoping that stat wouldn't come up. Maths makes me want to gnaw my arm off. Science is okay.. Is it just basic physics/bio stuff? Something that someone who hasn't studied them in year 11/12 would be able to pick up?

fornstar

QUEENSLANDER!!!!
HSC
alissa_xoxo said:
Ahh.. I was hoping that stat wouldn't come up. Maths makes me want to gnaw my arm off. Science is okay.. Is it just basic physics/bio stuff? Something that someone who hasn't studied them in year 11/12 would be able to pick up?
like i said i didn't do science in high school and i managed a CR in first semester. plus some if its pretty interesting. although not sure how ill go this semester!!! but yeah its not rocket science, if you pay attention and turn up to tutes you should be fine

personally its not the psych i would be worried about, its the statistics. its fucking the gayest piece of fucking shit ive ever done. shitistics more like it! im glad i transferred to HRM. still do some psych but no more stat ever again!!!! :D

ps: im talking about MQ psychology (which is apparently the coolest place to do psych) so don't quote me on what happens at UOW.

pps: i think psychology is a lil overrated but thats my opinion.

mmm_sofay

time to pretend
HSC
one of my best friends is doing pysch at uni, and she does lots of statistics in it.
she also does heaps of essays, she has to do all these tests for higher year pysch students - so basically she has to be a guinea pig to pass pysch.
but yeah, she has so much work. i type most of it out for her, but its so fucking interesting.
and from reading one of lecture notes on anxiety and mental disorders, she came to conclusion that im manic depressive.

santaslayer

HSC
Without Wings said:
i think its 5% of first years psych marks is from being a "test subject". These tests range from simple ones such as reading as remembering a list of words, you've been told then repeating as many as you remember or being hooked up to a machine...
Throughout the semester you put your name down for various ones, you have to do like 4 or 5 hours for hte semester...
Oh wow, so you get the 5% automatically for turning up? Coz I can't imagine them deducting the 5% if u start forgeting stuff. :p

Ninga

HSC
No, i think they get 5% for taking part in research studies, surveys, etc. I cant remember if these are for other students or the lecturers though, but they get marks for doing a certain number of these. So Psych can't be that hard :)

mmm_sofay

time to pretend
HSC
Without Wings said:
i think its 5% of first years psych marks is from being a "test subject". These tests range from simple ones such as reading as remembering a list of words, you've been told then repeating as many as you remember or being hooked up to a machine...
Throughout the semester you put your name down for various ones, you have to do like 4 or 5 hours for hte semester...
theres also other tests they have to do where one gets blood taken at certain intervals and eats certain types of food for so many days and then get more blood taken etc.

santaslayer

HSC
id love to be tested on what happens to me physically and mentally when firstly, i see a hawwwwt girl and then a dog ugly one.

id also like to be tested on what happens to me mentally when i do one of them.

alissa_xoxo

Share the Love.
HSC
Haha, i don't know whether being a test subject is good or not - they might find stuff i don't want people to know :p

This is helping heaps! Thanks! Keep it coming

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Is it possible to volunteer for psych/medical experiements? Does it pay? I heard rumours of other unis paying good money to amputate and reattach toes.

mmm_sofay

time to pretend
HSC
i dont know anyone in 3rd yr psych.
i only know that every 1st yr psych has to take part in these experiments to pass their 1st year.

dynamic22

Future Dictator
HSC
hey soph lol talkin bout uni.

Yeah psyc is kinda boring, definitely nothing like Dr Phil.

The stats in it is quite easy if ur able to cut out the bullshit the lectures talk about. Its just a few simple easy steps and equations. Everyone is averaging a HD in the subject.

Yeah research studies are fun.

I wouldnt rely on the results. We're forced to do them, so who's to say that we are just saying or writing whatever to get our marks or whether we are genuinelly giving it a go.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)