• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Psychology (1 Viewer)

Magical Kebab

HSC
I'm strongly considering doing psychology at uni and I have heard some of the job prospects and pay levels arnt that great. To be honest, im interested in psychology the most out of everything else but id rather do something and be well above being financially secure rather than doing something I 'like' and getting and average or below average salary. I might sound greedy and all, but that's just the truth. So, what's the deal with job prospects for psychology?

Cheers guys.

starshine02

HSC
Some do really well and some don't do that well. you can get a whole range of jobs with a psychology degree but maybe some won't be very psychology related eg- a friend of mine did it and now she works as an interviewer for some company :|

Magical Kebab

HSC
Some do really well and some don't do that well. you can get a whole range of jobs with a psychology degree but maybe some won't be very psychology related eg- a friend of mine did it and now she works as an interviewer for some company :|
Lol that's weird. I guess it depends on where u end up, I don't want to end up being a school counsellor :/

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
There's a heap of job prospects for people who study psych. Clinical psychology is the most obvious one and pays a LOT (upwards of $200/hr working in a private practice), but it does require about 8 years of study (undergrad degree, honours, masters, 2 years clinical training).

If you decide you don't want to go into clinical, there's a whole heap of other areas like research, human resources, recruitment, government and policy, many psych majors combine it with marketing and go into advertising, etc.

If you decide you want to go into research or clinical, there's also a heap of different areas of psychology, some of which you can see here http://www.psychology.org.au/studentHQ/careers-in-psychology/

The Australian Psychology Society is really your best website for figuring stuff out.

Genesis015

HSC
Psychology is an academic and applied discipline that involves the scientific study of human or animal mental functions and behaviors. In this field, a professional practitioner or researcher is called a psychologist. Psychologists are classified as social or behavioral scientists. Psychologists attempt to understand the role of mental functions in individual and social behavior, while also exploring underlying physiological and neurological processes.

Magical Kebab

HSC
Psychology is an academic and applied discipline that involves the scientific study of human or animal mental functions and behaviors. In this field, a professional practitioner or researcher is called a psychologist. Psychologists are classified as social or behavioral scientists. Psychologists attempt to understand the role of mental functions in individual and social behavior, while also exploring underlying physiological and neurological processes.
Umm ok....

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
Umm ok....
This is the definition they'll give you in your first class :p

MUSE13

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm strongly considering doing psychology at uni and I have heard some of the job prospects and pay levels arnt that great. To be honest, im interested in psychology the most out of everything else but id rather do something and be well above being financially secure rather than doing something I 'like' and getting and average or below average salary. I might sound greedy and all, but that's just the truth. So, what's the deal with job prospects for psychology?

Cheers guys.
as an psychology student i can tell u that that counselling and psychology are two complectly different things psych is the science of the mind thus u u learn about disorders and have to learn the anatomy and physiology of the brain counselling is more related to a social science degree rather then an psyche degree as for job prospects well it really depends there are sooo many fields in psyche u can work in hospitals with mentally ill people (clinical psyche) u can work with in criminal profileing work and help treat criminal , work worth children who are having trouble developing properly (developmental psyche) like i said there zoo much u can do with an psyche degree here is the salary for an clic psychology http://www.payscale.com/research/AU/Job=Clinical_Psychologist/Salary

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)