Q&Q:Manhattan Project (1 Viewer)

shadowRRL

HSC
Assess the significance of the Manhattan Project to society.

Is there anybody out there that know this stuff...

HELP NEEDED URGENTLY!!!

AK Gumbi

Not a M-O-Derator
HSC
yeh man, im having the same problem. ive looked in a couple of tbooks and handouts and all they do is describe the MAnhatten Project and not much on its impact on society, let alone its assessment of the project on society.
But what i would do is sort of assess how it was significant/impact towards society in the:
- 1940's (the war- how it ended it, etc)
- 30 years later (the ongoing 'Cold War' with Russia- development of nuclear weapons)
- the present (it has led into research such as nuclear reactors to build radioisotopes, etc)

Remember to state both positives and negatives, and make a final judgment.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
did manhattan project develop much in the field of reactors? cuz i thought they were mainly focused on building the bombs, and investigated stuff surrounding that. Fermi built his reactor before that and i remember reading there being another development/research thing in washington about reactor cores at the same time as the manhattan project... or was that another branch of it.. not sure about this...

other points include affect on the ppl of hiroshima/nagasaki, scientific comunity and the still present threat of nuclear war and oblivion as long as those weapons are stockpiled

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by shadowRRL
Assess the significance of the Manhattan Project to society.
Is there anybody out there that know this stuff...
HELP NEEDED URGENTLY!!!
this is basically me crapping on in one of my assessments, i received an alright mark for the entire assess. it's not the best, but i crapped on hard... as you can see:

1. Gather, process and analyse information to assess the significance of the Manhattan Project to society.

The Manhattan Project was the code name used for the United States effort to produce the atomic bomb during World War II. It was named after the Manhattan Engineering District of the US Army Corps of Engineers in New York, where much of the early work was done.

In 1938, German scientists discovered nuclear fission. Physicists, many of whom were refugees from Nazi persecution, raised the possibility that Nazi Germany might develop an atomic bomb. They included Hungarian physicists Szilard, Teller and Wigner Teller who was to become the father of the H-bomb.

1939 saw Szilard, Teller and Wigner convincing Albert Einstein to write a letter to the American President Franklin Roosevelt, which advocating the immediate development of an atomic bomb. Consequently, Roosevelt set up an Advisory Committee on Uranium in October of that year.

December 1941 saw the Japanese attacking Pearl Harbour, bringing America into the war. This attack had accelerated the race for the atomic bomb. The army was soon brought into the construction activities necessary for the Manhattan Project to proceed. The theoretical physicist Oppenheimer was then appointed to direct the weapons design and manufacture.

The significance of the Manhattan Project had been aided by Enrico Fermi, who had created the first chain reaction in a reactor. Four years later, bomb-grade U-235 had been produced, to be fashioned into a bomb. Other developments in Washington used Pu-239. The Pu-239 bomb was made by having a sphere of Pu-239, surrounded by explosives.

The resulting implosion would then result in a supercritical mass faster than was possible in a barrel. With the successful explosion of the first atomic bomb using Pu-239, the resultant explosion created an energy value equivalent to twenty-thousand tonnes of TNT.

At the same time, the U-235 bomb (nicknamed Little Boy) was on its way to the Pacific, to be dropped on Hiroshima. Three days later, a Pu-239 bomb was dropped on Nagasaki.

The Manhattan Project was the largest and most expensive project of the war, costing approximately US $2 billion dollars in 1945.

The Manhattan Project is considered to be an engineering feat unparalleled to that day. However, the most significant aspect of the Manhattan Project had been assurance that humankind possessed the power to destroy itself.

The Cold War and the resulting arms race had cost us the chance to eradicate disease and hunger, by focussing our attentions on the development of atomic bombs such as U-235 and Pu-239 bombs, creating energy values equivalent to twenty-thousand tonnes of TNT, destroying two cities (Hiroshima and Nagasaki), while costing $2 billion US dollars during 1945. The Manhattan Project was a success to society, its significance lies in the fact humankind has developed the power and has the capability to destroy itself and the world.

:)

Mathematician

Huy i wrecken u got real good stuff there , but maybe u lost marks because u wrote its significance lies in the fact humankind has developed the power and has the capability to destroy itself and the world.

They become narrow minded and think u only know one significant aspect on society...

Like u could add the positive effect , which is that the knowledge gained from the project could also be used for good things(crap word) such as generating electricity by nuclear means or could be used in advancing medical research(which could save a lot of people even one's in poverty which u said had a negative effect on them). And other shit.. :p

Im writing shit.... now but u get the point.

Huy

HSC
N/A
hehe, it's just Physics, i dont take it *that* seriously.
but since it was an assessment, 2-3 more marks would have been healthy in terms of improving my rank (top 10, but i can always improve -- as anyone else can)

:)

i used excel and that was about it LOL
so i took a few lines out of the text, and crapped on with what I had turning 5 or 6 lines into a page :D

I know what you're saying though... :)

btw, im not doing quanta/quarks, i only chose this option for our assessment because it looked easy LOL

im really doing astrophysics ;)

freespace

I wrote a 2 page report on this, and uploaded it as a backup. HEre it is if you want to ahve a look.

[pdf]http://freespace.ausgamers.com/manhattan_project.pdf
HTML:
http://freespace.ausgamers.com/manhattan_project.html

enjoy

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
there is a REALLY good answer in the 2001 standard package... for question 30d) sample1

Last edited:

shadowRRL

HSC
Originally posted by freespace
I wrote a 2 page report on this, and uploaded it as a backup. HEre it is if you want to ahve a look.

[pdf]http://freespace.ausgamers.com/manhattan_project.pdf
HTML:
http://freespace.ausgamers.com/manhattan_project.html

enjoy [/B][/QUOTE]

Freespace i think thats a dead link so can u post up another link?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)