quality of essay vs length (1 Viewer)

jojosiwa123

HSC
I've noticed in some exemplar essays (obviously a timed situation means not the best essay) the quality of two essays could be vastly different however they're still getting the same mark (18-20/20) just cus they fall into the 900-1000 word range...some don't even properly answer the question and/or can't sustain their 'to an extent' argument.

so does the quality and content of the essay actually matter if we're able to drone on for 1000 words (assuming high order language is used throughout)

Xanthi

HSC
I think the same, because they are marking hundreds of essays, so it probs get boring and repetitive, so i think they read the intro and BP1 and just guess, cause they cba
Nesa moderates randomly selected scripts, probably to prevent this sort of thing from happening. You also have to remember each script is double marked, and large deviations would be resolved through the senior marker.

jojosiwa123

HSC
you guys might be right...one of my teachers would genuinely only read conclusions and give everyone in the class 17/20 exactly. hope he didn't do that for hsc marking though.

jojosiwa123

HSC
Nesa moderates randomly selected scripts, probably to prevent this sort of thing from happening. You also have to remember each script is double marked, and large deviations would be resolved through the senior marker.
what do you mean by they moderate them?

idkkdi

HSC
I've noticed in some exemplar essays (obviously a timed situation means not the best essay) the quality of two essays could be vastly different however they're still getting the same mark (18-20/20) just cus they fall into the 900-1000 word range...some don't even properly answer the question and/or can't sustain their 'to an extent' argument.

so does the quality and content of the essay actually matter if we're able to drone on for 1000 words (assuming high order language is used throughout)
900-1000 isn’t even that much lmao. Isn’t that normal? Then again perhaps I’m biased due to my surroundings.

jojosiwa123

HSC
Nah seriously tho. 1000+-10% is pretty standard isn’t it?
lmfaooo most people write a lot less you'd be surprised
1000 words is the goal though for 40 mins...u guys are so fking extra lmao how do you write more than 1000 words per section??

idkkdi

HSC
lmfaooo most people write a lot less you'd be surprised
1000 words is the goal though for 40 mins...u guys are so fking extra lmao how do you write more than 1000 words per section??
How do u not write that much.....
There’s so much to talk about in English.

Xanthi

HSC
Anything from 700-1300 I have seen. I don't think it actually correlates that much with your mark. If you can prove your thesis that answers the question in 700 words, that's good but I can't so I end up with about 1000 average (Like 700 on Mod A is about 150 per body paragraph? That sounds really hard to achieve, but some can do it)

idkkdi

HSC
Anything from 700-1300 I have seen. I don't think it actually correlates that much with your mark. If you can prove your thesis that answers the question in 700 words, that's good but I can't so I end up with about 1000 average (Like 700 on Mod A is about 150 per body paragraph? That sounds really hard to achieve, but some can do it)
My intros are 150 lmao

jojosiwa123

HSC
How do u not write that much.....
There’s so much to talk about in English.
I agree there's a lot to write about but it all comes down to knowing your texts well enough to write that much on any topic- most people genuinely just can't be bothered, not everyone's aiming for that 90+ atar. personally I need time to think/plan but yeah with hsc you need to do the thinking before you go into the exam room lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)