Quarantine task help (1 Viewer)

Bokky

HSC
hi guys, i have an assessment task written report, and i have to do it on the following address:

Description of the role of quarantine in preventing the spread of disease and exotic plants or animals into australia or across regions in australia.

and

Evaluate the effectiveness in preventing the spread of disease or exotic plants and animals into Australia or across regions in Australia.
Use at least 2 specific examples to support your evaluation.

I have already done the description of the role of quarantine, ive written about that, but i dont know what to write in the evaluation of effectiveness of quarantine. Im not sure wat the difference is between the 2 questions and what its asking me to do. pleez help? ta

Last edited:

Pointy Ears

HSC
Well, the the difference between the questions is that the first asks you to elaborate on how quarantine prevents the spread of diseases, whilst the 2nd asks you to talk about how successful quarantine has actually been. So you could use examples on how perhaps, a particular organism, that could be detrimental to the natural wildlife of Australia, was found within the packaging of someones luggage from overseas, and that the quaratine procedure picked up its presence and destroyed it, therefore protecting these species.

Hope it helped!

Zali

HSC
Go to the AQIS site and they have fact sheets which are good for examples of plants and animals. I can't remember the other sites i used but if u go to the NSW HSC oline site they have information n addresses

kim_

I have exactly the same questions in my assesment task.
for the evaluate the effectiveness question.
Evaluate: Make a judgement based on criteria; determine the value of

You need to say in your answer, on whether quarantine is effective or not in preventing the spread of disease, support your judgement with a case study; example, if you say it is effective you can support it by using the example of the prevention of foot and mouth disease from other countries. In my answer I used one example of prevention in a region of Australia and the other in prevention of diseases into Australia from another country. Try to use one example of plant and one of animals as that is what the question is asking.

For the Explain the role question
Explain;Relate cause and effect; make the relationship between things evident; provide why and/ or how.

You need to say how quarantine prevents spread of disease; example Australian laws (Australian Quarantine and Inspection service AQIS)
Checks at entry points of regions across Australia

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)