• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

query re the use of the word 'submitted' (1 Viewer)

amaccas

HSC
N/A
We have been told (& almost blasted) on numerous occasions that we are not to use the word 'submitted' in our essays/exams. Apparently you can only use this when you are making submissions to a judge. An example of what the Professor's and lecturers are talking about: "The better view, as submitted, is that [insert view]".

However in Meagher Gummow and Lehane's Equities Doctrines and Remedies [ed 4], page 238 para [6-155], they use the word in the following context: 'In the first two editions of the work, it was submitted, with some hesitation, that the view of Griffith CJ was to be preferred over what was seen as the only tenable alternative, that of Isaacs J'.

Semester is over but I feel like emailing them this. *sigh*

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
It's technically passable, but is most definitely a term that is rooted in court. I avoid using it in essays and exams because it sounds pretentious outside a courtroom, to be honest.

Pro mooting tip: 'And, your honour, it is my respectful submission that' not only sounds better than 'And uhh...', but it also gives you more time to think.

amaccas

HSC
N/A
I agree. However aren't we told to emulate the way text-writers and authors of journal articles write?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)