Question about correct marks or moderation. (1 Viewer)

Terrence456

HSC
Hi everyone. Had a question about my marks. For History Extension my internal mark that my teacher showed me at the end of term was 48. However the result I received from BOSTES was 46 for my assessment mark which was the same as my examination mark. Does anyone know why that is the case for mark difference and also if it may be an error and whether I should contact my school or BOSTES?

FlameLash

HSC
Hi everyone. Had a question about my marks. For History Extension my internal mark that my teacher showed me at the end of term was 48. However the result I received from BOSTES was 46 for my assessment mark which was the same as my examination mark. Does anyone know why that is the case for mark difference and also if it may be an error and whether I should contact my school or BOSTES?
The assessment marks of a cohort are moderated according to what the cohort achieves in the external examinations. The student ranked first receives the highest external mark attained by the cohort as their internal, and vice versa for the student ranked last. Everybody else is adjusted in-between this new range based on relative differences in their assessment marks. Assuming you placed first at school, you most likely achieved 46 for your external examination mark, and as you achieved the highest mark in your cohort, you received that as your internal assessment mark.

Terrence456

HSC
Thanks for the info. Would you say in this class that my cohort dragged me down (in terms of the moderation of my assessment mark).

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Thanks for the info. Would you say in this class that my cohort dragged me down (in terms of the moderation of my assessment mark).
Depends. Were you rank 1 internally? (If so, moderation is irrelevant for you.)

FerryBoat

HSC
If they were 1st does that mean it would be an error in the internal mark going from 48 to 46

D94

HSC
N/A
If they were 1st does that mean it would be an error in the internal mark going from 48 to 46
No. The assessment mark of the student ranked first is equal to the highest exam mark. If the highest exam mark is 46, then that 48/50 gets moderated/adjusted down to 46.

No. If you could not achieve a high enough exam mark to reflect your school performance, then you, and only you, dragged yourself down.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)