QUESTION on trig graphs (1 Viewer)

GirlGoneMad

Kitten Kong
HSC
Ok, I am unsure what they actually want here:

what features can be determined about the sine graph from the graph of it's derivative (cosine graph) and the graph of it's second derivative

do they mean its period and amplitude are the same, or that it has shifted or that its turning points are zero and points at zero are turning points

do they want me to talk about how the derivative of sinx is cosx and the second derivative of sinx is -sinx?

kpq_sniper017

Originally posted by GirlGoneMad

what features can be determined about the sine graph from the graph of it's derivative (cosine graph) and the graph of it's second derivative

do they mean its period and amplitude are the same, or that it has shifted or that its turning points are zero and points at zero are turning points

do they want me to talk about how the derivative of sinx is cosx and the second derivative of sinx is -sinx?
well, u can tell from the graph of its derivative that it will periodic. when the derivative is 0, then the original curve will have a local max or a local min.....etc.

GirlGoneMad

Kitten Kong
HSC
so I should write about that then...stupid maths...you never know exactly what they want you to discuss so on most of my assessments I write too much...

kpq_sniper017

so I should write about that then...stupid maths...you never know exactly what they want you to discuss so on most of my assessments I write too much...
i can't be exactly sure that that is what the question is asking, but its only my own interpretation.
is it an isolated question, or is part of a whole question? coz that might give u more of an idea of what they're asking.

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC

Take y=sinx
for the graph of it's derivative, the graph becomes
y' = cosx
which you can prolli ramble on about how it is the same graph of y=sinx, however shifted left by pi/2 units.. or more accurately through the identity :
cosx = sin(pi/2-x) ... = sin[-(x-pi/2)] = -sin(x-pi/2)]

it is the graph of y=sinx ... shifted to the right pi/2 units... then reflected in the x axis

then for second derivative, y'' = -sinx

u can say it is the same graph as y=sin x reflected about the x axis

the period and amplitude is not changed when taking both the first and second derivatives of y=sinx ...

Last edited:

Seraph

Now You've done it.......
HSC
N/A
oo well now that this is up i may as well ask this

Okay withotu any differentation or anything

how do id raw y = cos(x + pi/4)

i know Period = 1 and amplitude = 2pi right??

But with the pi/4 what does that mean?

kpq_sniper017

Originally posted by Seraph
oo well now that this is up i may as well ask this

Okay withotu any differentation or anything

But with the pi/4 what does that mean?
that means that the graph is translated pi/4 to the left
+ = translated left
- = translated right

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Seraph

Actually, the period is 2π and amplitude is 1

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
huh?
like all derivatives (and calculas).. isn't it just:

f (x) tell the position
f ' (x) tell the gradient(velocity)
f " (x) tell the points of inflexion(acceleration)

of the original graph???

Last edited:

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
yes but with trig graphs u can talk about something special...

... possibly something to do with SHM and the relationship between displacement and acceleration ?

/shrug

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)