• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Question: Stuff Needed for Yr 12? (2 Viewers)

Legal Hustle

HSC
:wave: My question is what stuff do you need from yr 11 for Yr 12. Probabbly some of you will say nothing, but I'm sure you will need some stuff that they will take as assumed knowledge.
Here are my subjects:

Chemistry[surely u'll need some stuff]
Business Studies
Math Ext 1{surely u'll need some stuff outta maths}
Math
English Adv.
Biology
Eco[surely u'll need some stuff outta ]

I suck at 2 unit and 3 Unit, but I'm just gonna still have a crack at it. I've planned to keep all my subjects and not drop any for the HSC as there's no way Math can count in my UAI.
anyone got any good tips for the HSC?

(enigma)

no soup for you
HSC
well youll definately need a brain, very hard to get through otherwise.
a good grasp of english concepts is also useful, as it will be expected for you to see techniques and literary effects in texts that may or may not have actually been intended. alternatively you could just bullshit your way through, some people have succes with this method.

seriously though, if youre planning on doing extension maths (and 2 unit for that matter) you shouldve done advanced for yrs 9/10. otherwise its VERY hard to catch up unless youre really good at maths, in whihc case you shouldve been in advanced to start off with.

chem and bio you can do with a basic understanding of science, no idea about eco but from what ive heard business studies isnt overly difficult.

undalay

HSC
Most of the required yr 11 content is quickly retaught in yr 12, but its a hassle and more work for you.

Chemistry
The chemical earth: Mainly just Different bonding types (covalents ionic metallic)
Metal: Atomic radius, reactivities ?
Water: Electronegativites, solutions, intermolecular forces.
Energy: not much. Enthalpy graphs.

Well... basically alot.

Its better just to know everything :p minus the completely pointless crap. Like hydrosphere, atmosphere, history of the uses of copper etc.

Math Ext 1{surely u'll need some stuff outta maths}:
I suggest everything.

English Adv. :
Context of different text if your doing text is the similar time periods ? not that much for english, as long as you know how to write essays etc.

HSC
N/A
Make the most out of the present and you'll suffer considerably less, if at all.

You need nothing for Yr12 in your subjects, save Mathematics.

williamc

HSC
My recommendation, only try in english and maths.

Economics, business all change in year 12, and trying hard in year 11 would have been a waste of time and effort.

Pratice your essays for english, and do your homework for maths, and study hard if you wish to keep extension or move onto extension 2

Last edited:

williamc

HSC
undalay said:
Most of the required yr 11 content is quickly retaught in yr 12, but its a hassle and more work for you.

Lies.

Last edited:

williamc

HSC
magpam said:
not even english i reckon -

maths is basically all it is

The content isn't important, but learning hwo to write the essay is.

shona1990

HSC
I think you will need to know the basics of Chemistry. I changed over to Chem from Society and Culture halfway through year 11, and I had a lot of trouble grasping everything, and I think it would be a LOT of work

ssglain

HSC
Advanced English: Nothing specific - but Yr 11 studies should have enhanced your overall ability to comprehend, interpret and evaluate texts and to synthesise your ideas in a composition with sophistication.

Maths (all levels): Absolutely everything you've ever learnt through K - 11 is essential.

Biology/Chemistry: Everything in the Yr 11 course is assumed knowledge. Although no question in the HSC would be specifically directed at Yr 11 content, this knowledge is needed in order for you to effectively explain/evaluate aspects as required by the Yr 12 course. The following is a (very-very-brief-off-the-top-of-my-head) outline of the core topics in the Yr 12 Bio/Chem courses and their relations with the Yr 11 course. Others are welcome to correct/contribute.

Biology:
9.2 Maintaining A Balance mainly deals with how and why organisms maintain a stable internal environment and function in response to variations in the external environment.
Need to know from Yr 11: Some of 8.3 Patterns In Nature, including transport systems in animals (esp. excretory system) and plants (phloem/xylem), active/passive transport, etc.

9.3 Blueprint Of Life mainly deals with the variety of evidence that supports Darwin/Wallace's theory of evolution, the mechanisms of genetic inheritance, the implications of genetic technologies, etc.
Need to know from Yr 11: Some of 8.4 Life On Earth & 8.5 Evolution of Aust Biota, including examples of evolution in Australian flora/fauna, processes of mitosis/meiosis, etc.

9.4 The Search For Better Health mainly deals with the components and functions of the human immune system, a variety of infectious/non-infectious disease, the strageties used to prevent diseases and their implications, etc.
Need to know from Yr 11: Some of 8.3 Patterns In Nature & 8.5 Evolution of Aust Biota, including components of cells, processes of mitosis/meiosis, etc.

Chemistry: I don't have time to go into detail as I've done for Biology. All HSC cores revisit and extend the knowledge you've gained from the Yr 11 course, e.g. chemical formulae, chemical bonding, moles, intermolecular forces, enthalpy (exothermic/endothermic reactions), carbon compounds and their nomenclature (alkanes, alkenes), factors that affect rate of reaction, etc.

9.2 Production Of Materials mainly deals with the production and uses of petrochemicals and the development of renewable replacements for petrochemicals.

9.3 The Acidic Environment mainly deals with the uses of acids and bases, the chemitry of acid/base reactions and the environmental impacts of acids.

9.4 Chemical Monitoring And Management mainly deals with the monitoring of chemical reactions in industries for the purposes of maximising profit and minimising adverse environmental impacts, the uses and implications of analytical chemistry in managing the environment.

Last edited:

undalay

HSC
williamc said:
The content isn't important, but learning hwo to write the essay is.
You don't need shit for yr 12. How to write the essays? fuck that you can learn it in yr 12. The point is; knowing the year 11 content gives a considerable advantage.

Eg If you study about the elizabethan context for othello in yr 11. You only need to revise it for king lear in yr 12.

Year 11 is like the draft
Year 12 is the final.

cs01001

HSC
For Eco: You gotta learn how to interpret the Demand/Supply graphs, factors of production, circular flow diagram, how the FX market runs, Government policies/intervention etc. The Prelim course is more centralised on an Australian perspective, whereas the HSC course's focus is the Global perspective.

Maths: Practically everything I guess... Can someone confirm Permutation and Combinations?

Advance English: I seriosuly have NFI and am interested to know. We have done Change/Othello and currently representations of war/poetry. Do we do something different for Year 12? This subject is really frustrating with a shitty teacher...

williamc

HSC
undalay said:
You don't need shit for yr 12. How to write the essays? fuck that you can learn it in yr 12. The point is; knowing the year 11 content gives a considerable advantage.

I strongly disagree.

K go get raped first couple assessments.

Funny how you year 11's think you know more about the HSC course than the actual year 12's.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
cs01001 said:
Maths: Practically everything I guess... Can someone confirm Permutation and Combinations?
It's needed to some degree for binomial theorem.

aiz

HSC
N/A
anyone have any info on IPT?

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
You will need to know your math from the premliminary course as 30% of your hsc exam will be based on maths from yr 11 and the other 70% from yr 12.

For english you definitely don't need to know anything because the topics you study in yr 12 won't relate to your yr 11 course. The only thing i can suggest is to make sure that you learn how to write good essays and speeches so that in year 12, getting high marks in those assessments will be easier for you.

:)

williamc said:
I strongly disagree.

K go get raped first couple assessments.

Funny how you year 11's think you know more about the HSC course than the actual year 12's

So true!

Last edited by a moderator:

*BIRDIE*

RAWR!!!
HSC
magpam said:
prelim is basically a basis for the hsc... you wont get assessed on prelim for the hsc but it does help in a more full understanding of the concept
its true, even in your HSC most of your subjects only test you on stuff from yr 12, (so im told)

as long as you do your work like assignments and turn up a majority of the time you'll be right!

cs01001

HSC
williamc said:
My recommendation, only try in english and maths.

Economics, business all change in year 12, and trying hard in year 11 would have been a waste of time and effort.

Pratice your essays for english, and do your homework for maths, and study hard if you wish to keep extension or move onto extension 2
Still, don't wanan COMPLETELY bomb out in Year 11, lol

*BIRDIE*

RAWR!!!
HSC
seriously you cant bomb yr 11 cos it counts towards nothing, if you screw up in the exams by not getting what you wanted then try again in yr 12. the slate is wiped clean for a fresh start in yr 12!

cs01001

HSC
*BIRDIE* said:
seriously you cant bomb yr 11 cos it counts towards nothing, if you screw up in the exams by not getting what you wanted then try again in yr 12. the slate is wiped clean for a fresh start in yr 12!
True, but my my azn parents will kill me, lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)