QUESTION TO ALL 2020 HSC STUDENTS (1 Viewer)

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Thanks for providing your insight and letting me know. I live in GWS and thats very convenient 93.5 ATAR I thought that all med courses required 98+ but whoa thats amazing I can definetly pull my atar up to 95-96 on the higher side. I will definitely consider that now and yea that is true we have HECS here and I did not consider that. The thing is I do not want to leave med school in the middle as I might waste some years but I guess the regret thing is true. Someone also mentioned I can do eng then go into med if I wanted to via GAMSAT however I calculated and it would take 8 years. But thanks for the 93.5 atar thing I didnt know that. Is the 93.5 like minimum cutoff and realistically you need 99 atar for competitive entry or they treat everyone as equal as long as it is above 93.5.
I don't wanna be negative but the 93.5 is just "to be considered", to be competitive I think it's either 98+ or 99+ but I'm not 100% sure since I researched this a few years ago. Also if I recall correctly they weigh it equally with interview and UCAT.

jojosiwa123

HSC
I don't wanna be negative but the 93.5 is just "to be considered", to be competitive I think it's either 98+ or 99+ but I'm not 100% sure since I researched this a few years ago. Also if I recall correctly they weigh it equally with interview and UCAT.
it's still worth it to apply, there's always a chance... everyone should definitely have a few backup courses lined up though

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
it's still worth it to apply, there's always a chance... everyone should definitely have a few backup courses lined up though
Yea for sure, no harm in applying, just chuck it up first on your UAC and if you don't get an offer you'll get your next course in preference anyway ^^ and who knows you might surprise yourself and surpass your ATAR goals :D

c8

HSC
Nope. Iirc, WSU treats ATAR as a hurdle, for GWS anything above 93.5 is considered. UCAT is used for interview invites and those that score well on the interview are given an invite, provided they reach the 93.5 or 95.? for non-GWS. UNSW on the other hand is like what you said. They say 97 but realistically it's like 99.4 i believe

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Nope. Iirc, WSU treats ATAR as a hurdle, for GWS anything above 93.5 is considered. UCAT is used for interview invites and those that score well on the interview are given an invite, provided they reach the 93.5 or 95.? for non-GWS. UNSW on the other hand is like what you said. They say 97 but realistically it's like 99.4 i believe
Ahh yea I can't really remember since it was a few years ago. I just remember not even applying because my UMAT was really bad, like in the 50s LOL rip

• Haha
Reactions: c8

quickoats

HSC
feelsbad for the people that get 93.45

^^This says that it's 75% interview 25% UCAT so interview is the most important component. ATAR doesn't play a role (apart from the 93.5 barrier). However, I'd assume that if they need to have a tiebreaker, ATAR would be compared.

quickoats

HSC
Someone also mentioned I can do eng then go into med if I wanted to via GAMSAT however I calculated and it would take 8 years
Also, might as well make the most of your UCAT rather than hedging a bet on your future GAMSAT. If you do Med then Engo it'd take 8-9 years and there would be no GAMSAT.

c8

HSC
Also, might as well make the most of your UCAT rather than hedging a bet on your future GAMSAT. If you do Med then Engo it'd take 8-9 years and there would be no GAMSAT.
Agreed. I think it's a bit easier (just my opinion) to get into med undergrad rather than post grad. If you have the marks I'd just go for it. Although, you can do engineering and if you do well in it, apply as a non-standard before finishing an engineering degree if you think it's not your thing. That would probably be the best pathway should you not make it into med but think you still want to give it a go.

shaffy33

HSC
Hey guys I got into Macquarie University for Bachelor of Professional Accounting and Business administration, will be transferring to Professional Accounting and Law as I really want to do Law. Anyone else going to MQ?

dumNerd

HSC
Your UCAT is really good and you might end up getting an interview at Western Sydney uni or Newcastle with those marks. If you end up getting an offer then it's all yours to decline. Probably best just to keep trying for now since you have quite a good shot at getting into med - that way you at least get some closure, rather than facing regret next year because you didn't apply. WSU need ~93.5 if you're from GWS so just keep working on your ATAR if that's something you want to consider. If you don't get in, it is what it is :/

It's much easier to go from med -> engineering than engineering -> med. It's probably easier to get a taste of engineering whilst you are in med school (just pop into their lectures. Biomedical engineering seems to combine the 2 - have you thought about that?

Also regarding working hours etc - if you love a job enough, it won't matter to you. Not too sure as I'm not a medical student, but I don't think it's repetitive as you see new cases in the hospital everyday. There is a lack of flexibility in school as you have to do a certain curriculum, but there's room for choice in your electives and future specialty.

If you're worried about having to commit to med, this guy left med school after 4 years to become a bus driver and he's loving life! It's definitely okay not being sure what you want to do and it's definitely normal to change things up. https://medstudentsonline.com.au/forum/threads/from-medicine-to-trains-cathays-journey.35605/
Wait wth, my brother got a 97 atar with a 91 ucat and didn't get an interview to any med course in any university in Australia

quickoats

HSC
Wait wth, my brother got a 97 atar with a 91 ucat and didn't get an interview to any med course in any university in Australia
UCAT might be a tad low for WSU - ATAR doesn’t matter to them so his 97 was worth the same as a 93.5 which is also worth 99.

Transferring is always possible and med facilitates this quite well with transfer options and graduate entry.

c8

HSC
It’s most likely the 97 atar wasn’t enough for the majority, which typically require 99+ and that the ucat was too low for the lower atar schools, which typically require a higher ucat than 91 or weight different sections

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)