• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Question to all writers (1 Viewer)

hannahxxx

HSC
K well I'm entering this writing competition (entries close Jan 31st) and I need some advice.

It says the piece can be purely imaginative or based on historical facts related to the area in which I live.
I think doing a piece based on historical fact would be good because it would demonstrate my knowledge of the area and perhaps look more credible than an imaginative piece- the reader might be able to look back at the period I'm describing with a sense of nostalgia. Although an imaginative piece would obviously be more original, I don't think it would allow me to properly take advantage of the area's past history- I think this is what the markers are looking for.
Should I do a historically-based piece or one that's made up(but using town names/buildings around where I live)?

Any thoughts/comments would be awesome.
Cheers

Davriel

HSC
N/A
From one writer to another, let me give you some advice that has enabled me to win the hearts of many readers. Go with what your strengths lie, however, listen to what your heart says.

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
well it depends on the genre really, i mean, even if its based on some past experience of yours, it can still be imaginative; in fact some of our life experiences can appear to be imaginative if we were told about it before it were to happen

ask yourself- what haunts you? what inspires you? and throw a bit of that into your story

hannahxxx

HSC
Thanks for the advice guys. I get what you're saying-I would have to do a blend of the historical and imaginative regardless. Now I just have to search for ideas about what to base it on....argh

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
1. write what you know
2. Dont be an emo cunt about it.
3. profit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)