Question (1 Viewer)

jokesjokes

HSC
hey ppl, i really wanna get into an economics/commerce course next year at the uni's in the city, but the problem is that i m pretty sure i cant get the uai needed (90+), with the max i'll proably get is in the early-mid 80's.

so my question is ...how about the bachelor of arts courses?

i heard u can study/ transfer/ combine degrees into econmics/business related courses..?

how does this work?

can someone plz explain this to me..im really confused..:(

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Okay, once at Uni., you can apply to transfer. And they take into account you UAI as well as your grades from Uni. So in effect, you're grade can boost you're UAI, such that you can transfer to a course with a higher UAI cut-off.

jokesjokes

HSC
cool, so it would be even possible to transfer to a commerce degree if i do well at uni?

ok, what about if my grades are average...and i stay in the bachelor of arts course. I heard if u finish one of the major studies ( the languages or whatever it is) , there are additional majors such as economics available..is this true?

Soul

New Title...
1. recommend you consult unis

2. You can major in economics within an arts degree at unsw

3. however, as flyin' said - this is what you should aim for

4. you can also do econ/comm as a postgrad (i.e. after arts)

5. best option: do your best NOW to get in straight!

hope that helps

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by jokesjokes
cool, so it would be even possible to transfer to a commerce degree if i do well at uni?
Definitely... Minai is applyin' to transfer to Law, and Laz has already transfer to Law (just as examples).

As for other majors, I'm not sure. Although, I know at MQ, you can major in Economics (even Actuarial Studies) with a BA or that's what I heard on an Open day last year, but then again my memory is failing me every so often these days.

jokesjokes

HSC
i see...im sure i cant get striaght into the course i wanna get into , so im thinking about alternate ways of getting into aa course with a lower uai but still study something im interested in ( eco/ commerce)

and this may sound like a stupid question, but what does postgraduate mean? im totally lost with this uni thing :p

jokesjokes

HSC
Originally posted by flyin'
Definitely... Minai is applyin' to transfer to Law, and Laz has already transfer to Law (just as examples).

As for other majors, I'm not sure. Although, I know at MQ, you can major in Economics (even Actuarial Studies) with a BA or that's what I heard on an Open day last year, but then again my memory is failing me every so often these days.
so is there a minimum amount of itme before u can transfer? or do u just have to get the grades?

cause if i do get in BA, i dont really wanna study the languages and stuff ( major study)...i wanna study what im intterested in

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Post-graduate is studying after you get your undergraduate degree (your first degree).

Soul

New Title...
i see...im sure i cant get striaght into the course i wanna get into , so im thinking about alternate ways of getting into aa course with a lower uai but still study something im interested in ( eco/ commerce)

and this may sound like a stupid question, but what does postgraduate mean? im totally lost with this uni thing :p
Hey, nah no probs... i didn't really know before either. A postgrad is someone doing a degree who's already got a previous degree.

Edit: damn! beaten by flyin'

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
so is there a minimum amount of itme before u can transfer? or do u just have to get the grades?
I'm not sure about USyd and UNSW but the "maximum" time before you can apply would be one year. (It's possibly half a year, but not sure.)

At MQ, it's just a Semester (half a year).

jokesjokes

HSC
great...th for the help guys

so..if u guys were in my shoes..would u guys apply for the bachelor of arts course, if your intentions was to study eco/commerce related and then perhaps transfer or do that post graduate thingy?

would that be the best way, since i cant get a super high UAI

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
I'd try to transfer... but in order for that to work, I'd study like mad and ensure I'm allowed to transfer... no point only wantin' to transfer and not taking measures to make it happen.

On another note, if you are intent on transferin', attend a few of the lectures for the subjects of those courses and see how you find it, when you start Uni. It should give you some idea of where you're headin' if you do decide to transfer.

Cheers. :)

jokesjokes

HSC
great, appreciate the advice

which uni, would u guys say is the best for arts?

and is this what im intending to do a common thing? do many ppl apply for arts with an intention of transfering? ( if they dont get the neccessary uai)

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Well, many people do whatever... and try to get into Law.

But I presume that's a common path - from Arts (or Sciences, for that matter) into Commerce.

For Art, USyd... but you should be lookin' for the Uni you'll be doin' your Commerce degree because it's preferable not to change Unis, once you start, IMO.

jokesjokes

HSC
oh yeah, one more thing, what about this scenario-

if i dont get the marks to transfer and im stuck in arts..is there a criteria for postgraduate study other than finishing my first degree?
so in other words it would be possible to study commerce/eco but only after i study arts , right? there's no special condtions or anything is there? just extra years at uni i guess?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
if i dont get the marks to transfer and im stuck in arts..is there a criteria for postgraduate study other than finishing my first degree?
so in other words it would be possible to study commerce/eco but only after i study arts , right? there's no special condtions or anything is there? just extra years at uni i guess?
Extra criterion? Not that I know of.

But extra years...
that's might to prove costly later on in life.
damn flyin' your a walking encyclopeida of knowledge..

thx alot :)
Except most of this isn't applicable knowledge for me. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)