• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Questions about Major Work (1 Viewer)

HSC
When it says in the syllabus "work must be related to English Advanced or English Extention 1 Course" what does it specifically mean? Do I have to choose a theme consistent with an area of study?

And is it possible/a good idea to do a suite of short stories (3-4) rather than one long short story? :cool:

And what does the viva voce require?

Thnx ppls.

Huy

HSC
N/A
And is it possible/a good idea to do a suite of short stories (3-4) rather than one long short story?
Yes.
And what does the viva voce require?
Orally assessable task, a series of questions asked, you answer.

It requires nothing but knowledge of your own work, where you are at, where you want to be headed, future directions, aims, etc.

This all depends on how many viva voces you have (could be one, could be two - depends on your EE2 teacher), and also at what point in time you are required to be assessed, via the viva voce.

If you have one early, you can't talk about much - except where you are headed.

If you have two, one at the beginning, one before the trials, then you can talk about your changes in direction, improvements, what you have learnt, knowledge and experiences gained, skills gained, etc.

You just have to crap on. :p

"work must be related to English Advanced or English Extention 1 Course" what does it specifically mean?
I suppose it has to "loosely" relate to English - be it through the area of study or not.

I linked mine to "Changing perspective - AOS"
Do I have to choose a theme consistent with an area of study?
Don't feel restricted by it, but I think it would be good if you could, showing understanding of the outcomes, etc.

But you don't always have to "do what the syllabus says".

Be imaginative/creative, explore avenues, dare to be different.

:)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Huy you really want a modship dont ya :)

/me fights for modship of EE2

The themes are more guidelines :) think of them as merely a slight suggestion allowing for a far greater plethora of options....

Post-modernism was the easiest since you could incorporate and literally do anything :)

Huy

HSC
N/A
AsyLum: No.

I'm not allowed to help someone out for the sake of helping? :rolleyes:

Sif modship.

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
I seriously dont get the whole relating to Ext1 or Adv course, because if you look at it, english is english... writing essays is a part of the adv course

I dont understand!

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Huy
AsyLum: No.

I'm not allowed to help someone out for the sake of helping? :rolleyes:

Sif modship.
hehe
/me dances around thats one gone :) jkz

Originally posted by Will_Sparky
I seriously dont get the whole relating to Ext1 or Adv course, because if you look at it, english is english... writing essays is a part of the adv course

I dont understand!
err english isnt just english thats the point in doing ext2....theres basic english, STD, Adv which builds a higher level and understanding, Ext1 which surmises an even higher level, and Ext2 is the culmination of those levels into a course which allows for you to creatively express what you have learnt/skills/ and such

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
umm, okay, how i related mine was i said that when i studied frankenstein in the prelim ext course, i focused on the ethical ideas within the text, ie the nature vs nurture debate, and found them interesting which inspired me to aim to compose a critical response examining morality for ext 2.
it's pretty easy, just try and figure out one of the major themes or ideas in your work-to-be, and relate it to something you did in prelim/hsc... even if it's a loose connection, if you think hard enough you can probably tie it in pretty closely

ssssonicyouth

phonic booth
HSC
N/A
some teachers don't ask questions in the viva voce (like mine)

she just said 'explain your approach over these 7 months' and i rambled on about the two phases of my investigation (1 was inspiration, 2 was editing research) and found random quotes i had written in my journal (not hard cause it was only 20 pages long:))

she gave me a mark that helped me no end with the final rankings

sooo the moral to the viva story is: relate your investigation to majorwork and seem manically enthusiastic about it for about 10 minutes :rolleyes:

Huy

HSC
N/A
sonic: ten minutes!

Mine went for 35 minutes! :eek:

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
the viva voce was fun, because it involved actually telling people what i'd done with my MW. it beats interpretation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)