• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Questions about Straight Law @ UTS (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hey there, after a recent disatisfaction with the idea of a combined arts/law degree I've been looking into universities which offer a straight law degree. A couple of questions:

- Does the 4 year course include the Diploma of Legal Practice like at UOW or would I then have to do it upon graduating?

- How many units per year are undertaken in a straight law degree?

- Does a straight degree disadvantage you in terms of employment? (eg if one was looking into commercial law would not having done a combined Commerce/Law degree disadvantage you?)

- Are there any other factors to consider about a straight law degree?

I've done my best to avoid the usual stupid questions such as reputation, but if I've asked a question already covered I apologise.

maka

HSC
cannibal.horse said:
Hey there, after a recent disatisfaction with the idea of a combined arts/law degree I've been looking into universities which offer a straight law degree. A couple of questions:

- Does the 4 year course include the Diploma of Legal Practice like at UOW or would I then have to do it upon graduating?

- How many units per year are undertaken in a straight law degree?

- Does a straight degree disadvantage you in terms of employment? (eg if one was looking into commercial law would not having done a combined Commerce/Law degree disadvantage you?)

- Are there any other factors to consider about a straight law degree?

I've done my best to avoid the usual stupid questions such as reputation, but if I've asked a question already covered I apologise.
(1) You can do PLT in the final semester instead of 24cp of electives. Upon completion, you are able to apply for admission as a solicitor. PLT is the equivalent to Colloge of Law or the Diploma of Legal Practice. You get a Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice conferred upon completion

(2) Between 3-4 subjects per semester depending on the credit point requirements and how it fits in with the course structure

(3)No. But most people do combined law.

(4) As part of the LLB (straight LLB) you need to do 48cp. Effectively for 1 more year, you can get a 2nd degree. I would do that unless you decide 8 law electives on top of the 3 already required is beneficial.

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
I didnt think you could do a straight law degree unless you already had a degree?

08er

HSC
Yes you can do a straight law degree at UTS

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
It is possible to obtain exemptions for non-law optional subjects in the Bachelor of Laws if students have completed a bachelor's degree, advanced diploma or diploma course from a recognised tertiary institution.

The maximum exemptions that can be granted on the basis of having completed a course are 48 credit points for a bachelor's degree course (three years, full-time).
Just confirming that I would be able to use my BEcSocSci to reduce the UTS LLB to 3 years? Or am I misunderstanding the RPL scheme?

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
My understanding is, if you have not completed an undergraduate degree beforehand, you will have to complete all four years of a straight LLB degree. If you have an undergrad degree, then it's three years straight law.

If you've only partially completed a degree or a double degree, then you're not able to gain exemption. That's the straight answer but who knows, if you ask the law faculty, they may allow one or two subject exemptions depending on how much if your double degree you've done but I would advise that if you've gone that far into your double degree, you might as well go all the way.

You could simply start enrolling in all law subjects from now on, and once you've completed all required subjects, apply to graduate just from the law component. I don't know if your faculty will let you do that but I have known people who are doing a double degree, say comm/law, where they've pretty much completed all their comm subjects (plus a few law subjects to make up the points for a full single degree) so they simply applied to graduate and dumped the law part. But you need to confirm with the relevant faculty whether you can do that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)