Questions about studying speech pathology at USyd (1 Viewer)

slowjam10

HSC
:)
Hey, im currently in yr 10 and i'm interested in studying speech pathology after finnishing yr 12. Next week we ahve to make subject selection choices for the
HSC, i have read that you need to do Chemistry. I was wondering if you can get by without it or is it better just to do the bridging course. I can do Chem but i would rather if i didnt have to. Also i was wondering if you would be able to provide any insights into what it is actually like to study speech pathology. I have also heard that the field is dominated by women do many guys you know do speech path.

Any response would be greatly appreciated, Cheers:)

Skeeta

HSC
I'm in speech pathology, and i didnt do chemistry during the HSC. its only relevant for one subject (human biology and biochemistry in first year).

If you dont want to do chem for your hsc, there is a "bridging course" that goes for about three days a few weeks before the semester begins. its about $200-300 from memory.

its true, speech pathology is VERY female dominated. In my course at the moment there is around 100 people and probably 3 or 4 boys

speech path is a full on degree, you do between 6-8 subjects a semester. I will try and find you a subject list :)

slowjam10

HSC
Thankyou very much for responding. I f you could find the subject list that would be great as well. Thanks:)

kaitie

the evenstar
HSC
hey slowjam.
im doing speech path..in my first year.
i didnt do chem at school and i got a distinction or high credit or something in human bio!
just do stuff that you will get really good marks in and that you enjoy. thats what i did. thus i got a good uai and got into the course.
p.s we need more guys..so dont be shy- ur bound to meet some spunky girl there on campus too!
:)
good luck.

mandathepanda

HSC
Hey
I'm in year 10 aswell and want to do speech pathology, but i'm not planning to do chemistry (I want to do bio instead) but was a little unsure about whether I was taking too much of a "risk" by doing this,so thanks for asking that question slowjam10 and thnx to the ppl who replied- am feeling bit more reassured now

Skeeta

HSC
i did senior science for the HSC, did the bridging course in chem and got a distinction in Human Bio and Biochem. I dont actually think the bridging course helped THAT much, i would have passed without it.. they go over the content well anyway (they assume everyone forgot everything in chem over the break between HS and uni)

salsydney

HSC
im a 3rd yr speechie, and can assure you, you really don't need chem for this degree... i wouldn't even do the bridging course, $300 isnt worth it for human biology and biochem... just attend lectures, the lecturer is really good, and goes nice and slowly... its a great degree, 3 yrs on, i love it, despite my incredible hate for it also. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)