Questions about transferring USYD Law (1 Viewer)

resourceater

HSC
Trying to make life decisions and any help would be greatly appreciated;

Basically I've always wanted to pursue Law at Usyd but I only received an atar of 99.45. I have two options; pursue law at another institution or else try to transfer into law after completing the first year of a degree at Usyd. Even if I do attend another uni (such as UTS) I will likely still try to transfer into Usyd law after my first year. I'm wondering whether being at another uni will put me at a disadvantage in trying to transfer when there are others who already attend Usyd?

Any other advice about transfers?

And I know this question is really vague and subjective, but how hard is it *really* to achieve a distinction average (considering my atar)?

Blah, that was a lot to read. Thanks !!

RishBonjour

HSC
Hi mate,

I would suggest you do the other degree (e.g. Comm, arts) that you plan to combine with law at USYD and then transfer in the 2nd year. Given that you got 99.45, you'd probably need around 80 WAM (maybe a bit less) - which I'm sure you can pull if you put in some solid effort.
I got 98.85 and I'm hoping to transfer into law with a hd wam. So is Meshy with 99.6 and a hd wam. Hopefully we'll both be in.
If anything, going to UTS would be an advantage - USYD doesn't give you preference for being within the university. So you could put in the same effort and probably get higher marks at UTS from what I gather.

good luck! - once again, I think starting off at usyd would be better for you (I'm sure you can get 80+ wam) :)

resourceater

HSC
Hey thanks for your reply and advice :) I'm currently leaning towards USYD even though I believe I could get higher marks at UTS. I just really don't want to go to UTS...

Congratulations on your HD avg!!! Just a few questions if you don't mind answering them;

Was it extremely difficult to achieve this? Did it require immense dedication to your studies (more or less than the HSC)?

hibaby123

HSC
You clearly don't want to go to UTS... so go to USYD and transfer :) I would say that it would be harder to get a distinction average at UTS doing Law than at USYD doing Arts or another degree. Good luck!

RishBonjour

HSC
Hey thanks for your reply and advice :) I'm currently leaning towards USYD even though I believe I could get higher marks at UTS. I just really don't want to go to UTS...

Congratulations on your HD avg!!! Just a few questions if you don't mind answering them;

Was it extremely difficult to achieve this? Did it require immense dedication to your studies (more or less than the HSC)?
Extremely difficult would get getting a GPA of 7/7 (I think just 1 person in the cohort has this - mainly because some units are very mathematical while others are focused on long responses (core units) - so requires some solid balance to own both components). HD wam average for B.comm depends, in 2012 it was 7 students out of the B.comm cohort, not sure about my year. But I definitely think you could get very very high! I was working 2 full days so its definitely possible. I would say its less 'structured' than the HSC. Some exams ( business school micro + stats) do cute little surprise questions in the final so its harder to prepare, but I would say less dedication than the HSC (at least for 1st year, I'm sure next sem will get harder :/ )

resourceater

HSC
Thanks for your extensive reply! gives me a lot to think over :)

oh and just to clarify in case anyone ever reads this; I think uts is a great uni but it's just soooo much more convenient for me to go to USYD.

study1234

HSC
Shouldn't you be eligible for some bonus points? Or is that only at UNSW?

funstudy

HSC
From what I know, no disadvantage whether you're an internal or external student looking to transfer to USYD law. Not the case for UNSW law- internal students have a higher likelihood of being transferred than external students. Getting a distinction in uni is achievable, but not as easy as you think. It does require effort for some subjects, for others, minimal effort!

RishBonjour

HSC
From what I know, no disadvantage whether you're an internal or external student looking to transfer to USYD law. Not the case for UNSW law- internal students have a higher likelihood of being transferred than external students. Getting a distinction in uni is achievable, but not as easy as you think. It does require effort for some subjects, for others, minimal effort!
Definitely not easy. But given that OP got a pretty high ATAR, I'm assuming he/she will put in solid effort - in that case, D average shouldn't be too much of a problem :). Also, try get a good group of people you work well with - most helpful/rewarding thing of 1st year uni for me.

all the best!

theboo

HSC
i know this is 4 years later, but i was just wondering if you got into usyd law? im trying to transfer however i wanted to know what the changes of me getting in are?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)