questions for usyd law students! (1 Viewer)

dissipate

HSC
N/A
1. what do you like about your university?
2. what's the atmosphere like? relaxed? tense?
3. what do the other law students behave like? are they helpful? competitive? selfishly competitive? do important library books get hidden or "lost" during assignment and exam times?
4. what are the lecturers and tutors like? are they easy to reach? approachable? can you email/meet them face-to-face for a discussion/chat?
5. is there a mentor system?
6. what are class sizes like? are lectures/classes packed and overflowing?
7. what is the employment rate of law graduates from your uni?
8. if you could go back in time, would you choose to study law at usyd again?

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
-convenient for commuting and a conservative campus with the essence of a collation of past great minds
-extremely relaxed (if u don;t go into any libraries
-other students seem to want to make friends like they never had any at school. most of them still think its the hsc and would rather die than have you glance at one of their precious notes. (which seem to be compiled en mass)
-all my tutors hav been crap so it made me hate the subject. But i studied with a friend during stuvac and made friends with his tutor, she was the best tutor in the world and it made me really enjoy the subject fopr that week and i hope i have her for everything. (the imporatnace of a good tutor speaks for itself)
-there is a mentor system through suls but i don;t think anyone uses it, at least i didn;t.
-30 to a class, its not over flowing, except each one asks at least 5 hypotheical questions each class, so if u don't like hypotheticals, you'll go insane and end up skipping all the seminars and having to learn the course in stuvac....hmmm
-no idea, i imagine the rate is 100% for any good lawyer from any uni, if u are on a d average (at usyd) u will get offered a job from a city firm before u graduate
-i hated law the whole yr unitl i met my friends tutor, so that really had a wierd impact on me. so i guess depending on my tutors, i will either continue it or drop it, its not really in my hands cause i am only prepared to do x amount of work to pass it.

sorry if my attitude is bad, but i was just really intolerant of law students for some reason i can;t really account for.

Lainee

HSC
dissipate said:
1. what do you like about your university?
2. what's the atmosphere like? relaxed? tense?
3. what do the other law students behave like? are they helpful? competitive? selfishly competitive? do important library books get hidden or "lost" during assignment and exam times?
4. what are the lecturers and tutors like? are they easy to reach? approachable? can you email/meet them face-to-face for a discussion/chat?
5. is there a mentor system?
6. what are class sizes like? are lectures/classes packed and overflowing?
7. what is the employment rate of law graduates from your uni?
8. if you could go back in time, would you choose to study law at usyd again?
I was in gordo's class for Foundations, and I think he hated the tutor and the whole class, but I liked the tutor and thought the class was quite good. :p Shows how much opinions can vary.

1. I like that USYD is never empty of students, even late into the night when I end up doing work there (9-10pm). And it's really pretty at night with all the floor lights and illuminated glass walls.
2. Atmosphere is really relaxed, like gordo said. Really laze-about-worthy.
3. I've met some other fun students, but I think all law people have to have a 'silly switch'. ie. Be serious and add to conversations in class, but be friendly enough normally to show that you're human and not just brains. :) In the beginning I was really intimidated by the ultra-smart kids and I tried to match them word for word and... it was stressful and I became too argumentive (lol). So I just relaxed and hoped people didn't see me as being stuck up because I was so quiet (you can never win it seems!) But you will meet quite a few egocentric folks - but that can't be helped.
4. Email is the easiest way to reach tutors. Alot of them are not just tutors, they also have jobs in firms and lives elsewhere. But mostly, they're knowledgeable and often friendly.
5. There's a mentor system, but I didn't join it and I don't know anything about it. Might be worthwhile to check out.
6. My largest class had no more than 30, so pretty small to average class sizes. Agree with gordo concerning hypotheticals... law students (moi included) like asking obscure and theoretical questions like "what if the man got out of the car to help another man, but the other man specifically told him not to help, and another car ran over both men... etc. etc. what would happen?" But sometimes if you listen, these hypotheticals allow you to get a better understanding of the theory.
7. Employment rates must be good. I dunno, I'm assuming. It's USYD law.
8. Yep, I'd do it again. But next time, I'll feel less inclined to match wits with every person who raises an argument. I'd RELAX more I guess. :rolleyes:

dissipate

HSC
N/A
thanks for your replies gordo and lainee!

most of them still think its the hsc and would rather die than have you glance at one of their precious notes. (which seem to be compiled en mass)
yikes. sounds competitive........

-no idea, i imagine the rate is 100% for any good lawyer from any uni, if u are on a d average (at usyd) u will get offered a job from a city firm before u graduate
that seems good.. getting a job offer even if one gets an average of Ds.

Shows how much opinions can vary.
yeah lol!

I like that USYD is never empty of students, even late into the night when I end up doing work there (9-10pm). And it's really pretty at night with all the floor lights and illuminated glass walls.
is the area safe late at night? and for females? alone?

Yep, I'd do it again. But next time, I'll feel less inclined to match wits with every person who raises an argument. I'd RELAX more I guess.
hehe.

hey i really appreciate your detailed replies. what you said is going to help me make a decision between unis next january. so i can safely say that usyd is top, unsw is about next? how good is monash? -there isn't really anyone talking about monash law in this forum....... i'm an international student and studied at RMIT for a year.. made friends in melbourne and am familiar with the area.. so i'll be torn up if i have to choose between usyd, unsw and monash.

thanks again!

Lainee

HSC
dissipate said:
The library closes at 10pm Mon-Thu and 8pm on Fri. There's a security bus that I take to Redfern sometimes when someone ends up not being able to pick me up. Sometimes I'm with a friend who lives on campus so I'm not completely alone. Inside the uni feels really quiet and safe, it's really well lighted and pretty actually. Outside, not so much. Once, when I got to Redfern I remembered that I left my USB pen plugged in but I was too scared to go back to get it because there were these Aboriginal guys lingering around. I'm sure they wouldn't have tried anything, but I didn't want to risk it.

hey i really appreciate your detailed replies. what you said is going to help me make a decision between unis next january. so i can safely say that usyd is top, unsw is about next? how good is monash? -there isn't really anyone talking about monash law in this forum....... i'm an international student and studied at RMIT for a year.. made friends in melbourne and am familiar with the area.. so i'll be torn up if i have to choose between usyd, unsw and monash.

thanks again!
There are heaps more UNSW law students than others in these forums for some reason. I can't really say anything about Monash or UNSW, but from what I hear, they're both reputable law schools. I think Monash offers uncombined B Laws, which you can't do at USYD and UNSW. Do you want a double degree? What do you plan to combine with law?

You might even want to consider ANU in Canberra since my best friend does Sci/Law there and she's really loving it.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
dissipate said:
thanks for your replies gordo and lainee!

yikes. sounds competitive........

that seems good.. getting a job offer even if one gets an average of Ds.

yeah lol!

hehe.

thanks again!
come to unsw! unsw has a large community of international students so you'll probably feel rite at home =D

dissipate

HSC
N/A
thanks lainee! do you live on campus too?

Do you want a double degree? What do you plan to combine with law?
i'm not planning to combine anything since i've already got a degree (i applied for graduate entry). yeah i applied to anu too and will see what happens :p

seraphim: hehe are you an international student?

Lainee

HSC
dissipate said:
thanks lainee! do you live on campus too?
Nah, I don't. It takes me 1.5hrs to get to uni every day, so I should really look into it. I just find the idea of sharing personal space with others a little comfronting. The reality of living with other people's less-than-sanitary habits is too much for me to handle!

But good luck with your applications, and let me know if you make it into USYD! Doesn't hurt to make a few friends before starting. :)

dissipate

HSC
N/A
I just find the idea of sharing personal space with others a little comfronting. The reality of living with other people's less-than-sanitary habits is too much for me to handle!
same here hah!

thanks for all your advice! i'll definitely let you know if i get into usyd.

p.s. have MSN?

tez0r

Rawr?
HSC
approximately how many people do usyd law each year?

jaihson

HSC
Hey, I may as well put this question in here.

How many hours a week on average would you spend at university?

Thanks heaps for any answers

Zoie89

HSC
hey, im new to all this so bare with me.
well i want to do a law/economic degree and i was wondering what sort of UAI i'm up for? and if anyone is already doing this could you please write bak and give me a little insight into what its all about.
Cheers. xx

sarahn

HSC
Zoie89 said:
hey, im new to all this so bare with me.
well i want to do a law/economic degree and i was wondering what sort of UAI i'm up for? and if anyone is already doing this could you please write bak and give me a little insight into what its all about.
Cheers. xx
well i dont go to sydney uni, but for the past few years the UAI cutoff has been 99.6 (although this year it was 99.55)...for other unis a general guide is low 90s and above - note there is relatively high variation in cutoff scores between unis, so it really depends on where you want to go...

hope that helps :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)