• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Questions on a Bachelor of Arts (Languages) (1 Viewer)

acemusic415

HSC
Hi, I'm not sure if this is the wrong section, but I do have question for the students of USYD. Even though I'm still in year 11, I've been considering what I would like to do in university and USYD is an ideal university for me. Here I have placed some questions, if anybody generous enough could please respond to these, it would be greatly appreciated.

1) What does a Bachelor of Arts (Languages) degree entail to? Do I have to do more than one language? It may be a rumour I think I heard from around, but do you have to major in one and minor in another/or two?

2) Last time I checked the booklet for its ATAR, it was around 98.95 if I remember correctly? Exactly why is it so high? I'm speculating the fact that its in high demand?

3) Is it true that you have to go to the respective country in which you are studying that language? Is it mandatory? I wish to learn Korean, does that mean I have to go to South Korea to do my studies there? Or is an option for the student to develop their fluency and experience it first hand?

4) Is this degree combineable with a Law degree?

If anybody wish to answer this, you have my gratitude.

Thank you!

UncoKane

Huzzah!
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi, I'm not sure if this is the wrong section, but I do have question for the students of USYD. Even though I'm still in year 11, I've been considering what I would like to do in university and USYD is an ideal university for me. Here I have placed some questions, if anybody generous enough could please respond to these, it would be greatly appreciated.

1) What does a Bachelor of Arts (Languages) degree entail to? Do I have to do more than one language? It may be a rumour I think I heard from around, but do you have to major in one and minor in another/or two?

2) Last time I checked the booklet for its ATAR, it was around 98.95 if I remember correctly? Exactly why is it so high? I'm speculating the fact that its in high demand?

3) Is it true that you have to go to the respective country in which you are studying that language? Is it mandatory? I wish to learn Korean, does that mean I have to go to South Korea to do my studies there? Or is an option for the student to develop their fluency and experience it first hand?

4) Is this degree combineable with a Law degree?

If anybody wish to answer this, you have my gratitude.

Thank you!
1) I think it's one language major and one other arts major. Pretty sure you don't have to do more than one if you don't want to... but then what's the point..?

2) They offer like 40 places a year and it's popular. They give $5000 towards a semester or year overseas (which is compulsory).

3) Yes.

4) I don't think so. It'd just be Arts/Law then.

Read this:

Bachelor of Arts (Languages) - Faculty of Arts - The University of Sydney

I'd love to do this degree... but I don't really want to give up science, hence why I'm doing BSc/BA.

witide

HSC
God damn right it's in demand, the grant for studying overseas is quite appealing. I'm hoping to transfer to it at the end of this year.

And everything UncoKane said.

yours

HSC
you can do everything in that degree within a normal BA. The differences are they have some restrictions with what you must choose (check specifics on the website mentioned above) and you get the 5000$ one-off grant for an exchange. The only appeal, in my opinion, is the 5000$ scholarship. This is why people apply for it and subsequently - lots of applicationss/small place number (40) = ATAR req. is high.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)